Emu pictures and stories.... post them here

Five wild birds sighted in two days, one an unusual and lovely 'sandy' colour. Felicity has wandered off, but she'll likely be back for 'little yellow flowers season' -- cape weed -- due any week now.

And walked to 'Oudman's' in spring rain -- only the old old timers will know what Oudman's is (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641934/lightbox/post/9470261/id/5261390) Lots of wild emus' blessings in the house-clearing. (and mustang dung!)

You guys can deal with this, which I found while doing back-ups::
First Info on Emus

One: as much space as possible. It means clean glossy happy pets.
Two: fences are most important. Emus can scramble surprisingly high (usually while panicked), and injure themselves, particularly their legs. Fences up to six feet are the norm.
Three: if you aren’t in Australia, you need to determine if your birds will need shots, etc.
Four: food??
Five: Emus have a marked habit of swallowing small objects, particularly shiny things. Be aware of this from Day One.
Six: Myths about Temperament:
The emu belongs to a family (‘ratites’) that does include those aggressive birds, the ostrich and cassowary (and right here on BYC!). Moreover, there are certain situations, particularly an enclosed space, in which a big old emu could certainly injure you. Otherwise, you’ll see a guy on youtube chased around the yard, or a camera get pecked. Emus don’t attack people. They are curious, and may come up to you, but they aren’t dangerous, more like oversized ducklings.
Seven: you will provide a little shelter. The emus will largely ignore it. They are hardy, and can handle rain and snow.
Eight: emus like water, even to swim.
Nine: BYC readers have wide experience with mixing emus and other life-forms. Under certain circumstances, it just isn’t a problem. Under some others, it is.
Ten:

Well done, Jch. I am now pretty much retired. You guys take the Basic Info List, and make it your own. The original goal was to have it available for the many who used to ask.

se

Hey, Formica. Yes. I think so.

And what comes next, I hope, is developing the area. There is a great deal you can do. For example, if there's any spare 'grey water' to redirect onto that land, you can keep little patches of 'fresh pick' going weeks after summer knocks down the rest. You can plant some bushes. You can experiment with self-sowing plants that your emu likes.

I am semi-retired from BYC, but I may be able to pop on occasionally.

Here is Felicity and her consort, Handsome Eddie, just a few weeks ago:

SE, Lake Muir, W.A.

Llama's are great guards for any animal and, for us, easier to care for then most livestock they protect! Oue emu actually helped keep flying predators away from our chickens until we moved them to the pasture with the large animals.

This is Daryl. I'm on day 52 and he has internally pipped. I heard the first peep around 9 pm eastern time. I'm a little worried because he's 13 g overweight but I guess only time will tell. Fingers crossed!!!

Hello, I have recently found some emu chicks for sale that are around 1day to 1week old for sale near me. I am planning on buying a few chicks and I was wondering if anyone could inform me on emu brooding. I have read a lot on them but every breeder seems to do something different, just curious to what the best set up would be. And also what do you do when the birds are to old to be in a brooder but not old enough to be out in the pasture?

Any response is greatly appreciated,thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom