English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
UPS guy dropped off a package and clearly is scared of dogs and not just a little bit. Dogs were barking at him like no one else, and he was making it much worse.
Had that happen with a mail guy, turned my people friendly dog into a lunging barker...
...but only until one of her targets went off on her, she never did it again :lol:

This guy will be getting a talking to from a supervisor. He does not appear to be trying to be mean, he is simply scared out of his pants. I work a guy that is much the same. Such behavior can be a liability for all. He may need a different route that does not include us although I am certain he deals with far worse dogs.

This guy will be getting a talking to from a supervisor. He does not appear to be trying to be mean, he is simply scared out of his pants.
Pretty hard to talk someone out of a dog phobia, but not a great job for someone afraid of dogs...wonder if they offer any training?
My mail guy was not being mean at all, he was genuinely scared to death....
....and dog fed off that even tho she'd never done that before.
Human fear can make animals nervous.

This something I wish could be setup as a time lapse. Dogs are patrolling core of poultry area. Free-range hens are stacked up on feeding station topping off crops before going to roost.
20190108_162540.jpg
20190108_162544.jpg
20190108_162546.jpg
20190108_162550.jpg
20190108_162553.jpg
20190108_162555.jpg

Neighbor kids coming to play with mine brought a couple dogs up into yard. Two of mine would have nothing of it and almost got riled up enough to kill one of the visiting dogs. The kid put himself between dogs and could have gotten bit by his and mine in the fray. I have told him multiple times not to bring dogs into yard. Kids all run off, including mine and I have indigestion. At seven years of age, kids do not keep thinking hat on all the time. We have to survive until they do.

Kids came back, the whole mob. We had fun walking up to fence and getting zapped despite repeated warnings. Maybe not all kids suitable for being around hotwire. I had to turn wire off, then somebody pushed fence down to ground with sticks. Then we got lost in bamboo patch and missed Bald Eagle flying overhead.

Neighbor kids coming to play with mine brought a couple dogs up into yard. Two of mine would have nothing of it and almost got riled up enough to kill one of the visiting dogs. The kid put himself between dogs and could have gotten bit by his and mine in the fray. I have told him multiple times not to bring dogs into yard. Kids all run off, including mine and I have indigestion. At seven years of age, kids do not keep thinking hat on all the time. We have to survive until they do.
:barnie

Kids came back, the whole mob. We had fun walking up to fence and getting zapped despite repeated warnings. Maybe not all kids suitable for being around hotwire. I had to turn wire off, then somebody pushed fence down to ground with sticks. Then we got lost in bamboo patch and missed Bald Eagle flying overhead.
Ha I learned to listen after getting zapped by hot wire about the same age...it's a teaching moment to pay attention ...they will remember.

They did not learn this round. We are yet to have the memorable moment. I cringed plenty watching the whole thing. One kid walked into a single strand at entrance as is maintained solid contact and zapped him repeatedly. He did little hops with each shock, but did not realize what was up until he backed. His connection was so good he probably could not localize where the zap was hitting him. He did big eyes though. Best way to get zapped because does not give that burn feeling like on bare skin in a single spot.

Good Lord!!! That’s rather unnerving! Maybe time for a chat with the parents? 7 is definitely old enough to learn about an electric fence. I don’t think I would turn it off...

Hun the female, no longer to be called pup, is coming into full blown estrus. For three weeks she will be penned except for twice daily run abouts under close supervision.

Last night a Coyote came in for what I think was an exchange with Ben and ultimately Lucy and Bella. Coyote appears to have been in backyard directly behind house. Ben and Bella were on other side of Coyote down in the woods and Lucy ran around from front of house to flush Coyote out. Hun was penned in barn so not directly part of picture.

Will begin transforming hotwire around poultry yard to high tensile and adding an additional wire near bottom to keep cats out.

Back
Top Bottom