Enlarged crop

Well the old girls crop was down somewhat this morning. She didn't stuff it tonight as much as last night. I think I just became alarmed when I saw it yesterday. Thank you all for the concern and the useful information. John

Hello -

I have an 8 m.o. hen who is acting ill and I am wondering if it might be an impacted crop as well - here is a description of what is going on with her - any advice would be helpful - thank you!

She is a red star hen - she is approximately 8 months old, but I have only had her for about 2 weeks. I was away for a couple of days and when I returned I noticed the tips of her comb are blue-ish in color and flopped to the side. She seems lethargic and is keeping herself close to the hen house and at night is staying on the floor or in the nesting boxes away from the other hens. She has been drinking water and eating grass (I haven't seen her eat any grain yet), but she is sloppy when she eats and drinks (dripples the water down her chest and leaves a piece of grass hanging out of her mouth). During the day today she came out in the yard and scratched around a bit, but was very slow and tired looking, and would take breaks (stand on one foot with eyes closed and her neck scrunched down). She also looks like she is not cleaning herself - feathers look messy, etc. - she just seems too tired.

Any ideas? The weather has gotten a lot colder lately - could she just have a cold? I am worried about the blue comb though. She is new to the flock - could she be depressed? She did come with 2 other hens and they all transitioned in well initially, and the other 2 seem fine.

Thank you for your thoughts! Any advice would be appreciated!

Trendy Chicks,
Get her inside where it's quiet and warm - keep her inside & away from the others. She's definitely sick, I just don't know what's wrong. Blue comb probably means her blood isn't getting enough oxygen. Her heart is having problems pumping, maybe? Start treating her by giving her 3 drops of baby vitamins without iron (Polyvisol at the drug store) and get some electrolytes in her water (you can use Pedialyte). Give her smashed up cooked egg yolks for high protein boost, she needs all her strength to fight whatever she's up against.

Why did you post under "Enlarged crop"? Is her crop enlarged? You didn't say anything about her crop, so I'm wondering. If her crop is normal, then post her symptoms again using a new topic, under Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, Cures. You'll get better responses if the topic matches your hen's symptoms.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of what could be wrong will read your post and give you some other tips. But in the meantime, get that girl INSIDE and warmed up and away from the others! I sincerely hope your hen pulls through!
fl.gif

Hi feathersnuggles - thanks for your response.

I have brought her inside. She seems to be doing better today. Her comb is a little less blue and she appears to have a little more energy. She was eating grain this morning when I checked on her and brought her in. I have given her 1 liter of warm water with 1 81 mg aspirin dissolved in it and .5 ml of polyvisol. She ate some grape tomatoes and soft bread. I tried olive oil on the beak and she took a couple of drops. I was waiting on the yogurt and protein because some one suggested that that could make the crop worse if it is impacted (go sour?).

I posted in this area because I was questioning whether an impacted crop could be what is bothering her. I have hay in my nesting boxes and I am wondering if she's been eating it. She is new to the hen house and perhaps wasn't used to hay in the nesting boxes - maybe I will change this to wood shavings.

Today when I brought her inside I examined her more closely and discovered she is plucking her feathers off of her chest - I am not entirely sure where the crop is located - i am thinking at the base of her neck and at the top of her breast between her breast bones??? - this area is bare (as if she is trying to get at what is bothering her) - she has a soft lump here that is pinker than everywhere else and is warmer to the touch. She let me rub it today and was completely relaxed and closed her eyes. Do I rub in a circle, up, down? It doesn't seem to be hard like others have mentioned it would be. Do you think this is what is bothering her? Interestingly enough in looking at pictures of chicken anatomy - there heart is right behind the crop - do you think that an enlarged crop could be pushing on it and that is why her circulation (blue comb) has been affected?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I tried the oil a couple of times today and she'll "lick" off 5 or 6 drops. I did another massage this morning - kneading, pinching, and lifting as someone suggested and I think it was more productive. I felt 2 hard lumps about 3/4 of an inch each and was able to knead them out - alternating with oil drips. The rest of the crop seemed soft - is that usually how it is - is normal full but soft after they have eaten? I did another massage the same way this afternoon and it was big but all soft - no hard spots.

Her plucked area is exactly over the crop - which makes me suspect is/was her problem. She comb is still a little blue on the last couple of tips, and still flopped over a little - although it seems to have improved a bit. She is making more noise and a little more active. Today I have given her a 1/2 of an apple and grain, along with water. Does this sound appropriate?

I think I will keep her inside one more night and do a couple of more massages and let her out tomorrow - I don't want her to get too used to the warmth! smile

Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom