Essential oils and chickens

My cat Rubin was diagnosed with kidney failure, and the vet kept giving him water sacks to no avail. I went to my homeopath and she gave a mixture of sarsaparilla,and something elsecan't read the label but he is not drinking so much and is eating and looking much better all round. I know its not oils but still herbal.

Glad to hear you use a drop of YL oregano in 1.5 g of water for your chickens (lifthiminsong) Just put 1 drop of YL oregano in 5 gallons and was concerned it was to much since YL oils are so concentrated (yet pure).

Thank you so much for posting all this great information!!! I know what oils would be good, but have been struggling to find application method, so THANK TOU THANK YOU
263a.png

You can use essential oils on all avian. Refer to ADR The Animal Desk Reference: Essential Oils For Animals by Melissa Shelton DVM, Holistic Veterinarain

ADR: The Animal Desk Reference: Essential Oils for Animals by Melissa Shelton DVM Holistic Veterinarian.

Hello, I'm just starting to get into EOs for our family and would like to use them for our chickens as well. I have a two year old Rhode Island Red that is really not doing well. I wish I knew what was wrong, but I really don't. She has major liquid/watery diarhea, she is listless, not laying and has a pale colored comb. What should I try? I want to try to help her asap.
I did try to gently check if she was egg bound, but couldn't feel anything. I also applied olive oil with melaleuca and garlic oil to "both ends." She is currently seperated from the flock and resting in a box. I also added a few drops of Melaleuca oil to the water for the rest of the flock.
On a different thread, someone suggested worming, as I have never wormed my flock. Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I am new to raising chickens and using YLeo's. After gleaning thru these posts and checking the ADR I am ready to treat my hen for her lethargic countenance. My concern is adding oils to water. The 2 don't mix and I know this thru experience. lol So it would seem the Oregano would be hot when they drink as it would be all over their beaks . I read someone adds eo's to olive oil and then the water. That would lessen the heat. I am glad to have found this sight.

I apologize for not responding to your post earlier. I don't understand it, but I only just now received notification of your post.

How is your hen? I pray she's well. Whenever my hens first display the same symptoms, I first give them a 15-20 minute bath in the kitchen sink with 1/4 Epsom salts and 1-2 drops of Frankincense.
I then diffuse Oregano directly by the cage that I keep them in for recovery.
If they'll drink it, I also put a bit of raw, organic apple cider vinegar in their drinking water.
Depending on other issues, I will also put a drop of Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) on a cotton swab and rub it over their comb and legs for further immune boosting properties.

9 times out of 10, these steps brings a complete turn around. Very plainly, just like with us, giving their bodies support through oils, helps them fight off what's come against their bodies.

I hope all is well.

I put a drop of Oregano in each of the 1 gallon waterers that our hens use whenever any symptoms of illness arise. I do add a touch (I don't measure, but it's probably equivalent to 2-3 drops) of olive oil, and a bit of raw, organic apple cider vinegar to the water as well.
I have not noticed any negative side effects, even though Oregano is "hot" oil. In fact, I believe this has helped their bodies fight better.

I hope all is well with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom