Essential oils and chickens

Using ACV along with the oil should have the same effect as using oil with Epsom Salts - both products allow the oil to be evenly distributed throughout the water, rather than just floating on top.

So, mix your EO with ACV, then add the water on top of that to mix it in. Should work just fine.

For respiratory illnesses, Ravintsara, Palmarosa, and Laurus Nobilus are good single oils to diffuse in the coop. I usually just run the diffuser for the first 10 - 15 minutes after they are in for the night.

Always watch for distress when diffusing a new oil.

Here's the recipe for the spray I use:

Respiratory Health Spray
800 ml water
40 ml Vodka
20 drops Ravintsara Essential Oil
20 drops Purification Essential Oil Blend
Combine in a spray bottle and shake well.

Usage Instructions:
Use in chicken coop while:
- Cleaning to keep the dust down (shake bottle frequently)
- After cleaning, to disinfect the top layer of bedding
- On roost bar, walls and nest box, to kill germs and allow for the birds to absorb the trace oils, to promote health
Alternative oils to use:
Laurus Nobilus (Bay Laural) - anti-bacterial, anti-viral; supports healthy digestive and respiratory systems.
Palmarosa – anti-viral, antiseptic, antifungal, broad spectrum bactericide.

when you use oils, is there a particular brand to use? I'm currently using Young Living.... Want to do something for my girl who has bubbly eye.... :( she doesn't sound bad, seems to be acting normal..... i haven't heard any coughing/sneezing or any other "out of the ordinary" noises from her..

Last edited:
I just saw this post.. :( Sorry I didnt see it before..... Wanted to share that I use various essential oils with my chickens and other animals I have done so for several years with great results.. The list of oils is so long for different issues. But the ones I would say I use the most.

Cloves: Has many uses. I often use it in a spray bottle and added to my girls to repel bugs. when I have an injured girl I have even added a few drops to a base oil like almond or grape seed to rub on the area around the wound. Its a great anti septic and seems to aid in pain relief. Also if there is any feather pecking going on. Spraying the victim bird with cloves and water dilution seems to keep the others at bay.

Tea Tree Oil.. I use this for countless things Spraying diluted in the coop, if a bath is needed I add few drops of TT oil and sprigs of rosemary. Its great to get rid of any lice or bugs that might be lurking.

Lavender: I often use this if I have a injured or ill bird or animal. Sometimes I add Bergamot oil just drop or two. to the ill animals bedding or crate. Putting a few drops on a cotton cloth and tucking it where they are kept always seems to have a calming effect on the animals.

Peppermint, Spearmint and Wintergreen are wonderful for using in the coop to repel flies and other bugs. The only caution on mints is that they can be toxic at times and do sting if applies to open skin or a mucas membrane area. So I usually do not use them on any open wounds. They can be used as a sore muscle rub and work fantastic. I think the deal with mint family is in moderation and use common sense.

FYI.... I also hang Mint leaves, lavender, rosemary, thyme, oregano stems in bunches from the ceiling and door of my coops. Freshens the coop air and repels bugs :)

did you spray the clove mix on your girls? one of my girls might need a TT bath..

Young Living is the only brand our family uses for we humans and our animals as it is the only therapeutic grade company that can stand behind its products with Seed to Seal. I won't use anything else - our health depends on it.

Have you noticed any positive changes after using the Oregano Oil? How did you use it with the chickens? I have been noticing runny stools in my flock and would love to help them out naturally before bringing in medication.

Have you noticed any positive changes after using the Oregano Oil? How did you use it with the chickens? I have been noticing runny stools in my flock and would love to help them out naturally before bringing in medication.
Welcome to BYC.

I am surprised this thread is still going. I thought we were well passed using concentrated oils to treat diseases that are more effectively treated using modern medicine and techniques that have actually been proven to work.

You should look at some poo pics because poo in birds changes all the time. Runny stools are indicative of nothing in the absence of other symptoms. If you are having an issue with your birds then take some pics of their poo and post them. You will have a lot of help identifying whether you have a problem or not. Please do not use this thread as a guide to treating your birds. A lot of the info here is unfounded, ill-advised, and frankly a waste of time and resources. This is not a popular opinion, so I am sure my inbox is about to get blown up, but facts are facts. Treating your birds with essential oils may make you feel better, but will not likely make your birds feel better, and in some cases can actually harm them.

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but I feel it is my duty to give helpful and accurate advice. I'm not trying to win any popularity contests. And I am not going to suggest using snake oils to fix a problem when there are far more effective, proven cures available.

I have never used Oils. But my chickens sure are a lot healthier after I started using Fermented Feed which is explained in this thread > Fermented Feed. A note of caution, if you use it make sure you dilute it with another oil as Oregano alone it may prove harmful.

Yes, we have seen overwhelmingly positive results from using pure therapeutic grade Oregano oil. Because these oils are so concentrated, a little goes a long way.
Personally, we use 1-2 drops per our 1.5 gallon waterers mixed with a tablespoon of ACV and a capful of olive oil.

Depending on what's causing the runny stools (it could be as little as nothing), you might try various other helps - whether oils or synthetic medications. I am certainly not opposed to synthetic meds, but I always try God made first. :)

For parasites, I use an oil blend called DiGize.
For bacterial infections, I use Oregano.
For fungal infections, I use Melaleuca Alternifolia.
For wound care, I use Melaleuca Alternifolia and/or Lavender and/or Frankincense.

For individual issues, I bathe the bird first in an Epson salt bath and a drop of Frankincense. More often than not, this clears the issue.

Basically, for internal issues - give the oil as a supplement.
For external issues - use the oil topically.

Good luck!

Thanks lifthiminsong, that's so helpful. I have yet to take a photo of the stool. I hear it could be normal. You mentioned givng a chicken a bath in epson salt and frankincense. There is one chicken in particular that has matted it down feathers on her back end. I'm assuming it's from runny stool. I'd like to clean her up, but am wondering what the best way would be as I'm sure they don't enjoy being set in a pail full of water. Any help with that would be great.

Did the chickens seem to have any issues drinking the water with that mixture in their water? I know oregano is a hot oil so I would think it would burn to swallow.

Back
Top Bottom