Essential oils and chickens

We use essential oils for the entire family. I have a chick with some respiratory issues. Tomorrow I think I will dilute 1 drop of oregano with coconut oil and rub all over the birds feet. That's what I do for my kids. Love Doterra EO.

We use essential oils for the entire family. I have a chick with some respiratory issues. Tomorrow I think I will dilute 1 drop of oregano with coconut oil and rub all over the birds feet. That's what I do for my kids. Love Doterra EO.

I have mixed oregano and melted coconut oil and made a food mash that my chickens gobble up

Last edited:
Whoa, a broken and ROTTEN egg... Nasty! Poor girl!

I would keep that one on a regular diet involving garlic to clean her blood in that case. Onion's good too. It supports their liver as well.

I'd just use the garlic bought at the shops, raw, I'd peel it and mince or crush it before feeding; you can usually get dried granulated garlic or minced garlic in tubs or bottles at feed bards/produce stores/wherever you get pet or livestock supplies, same with the kelp. Don't know where you'd get that in America as I'm an Australian, but I don't know where you are... The kelp comes granulated or powdered and you can also get that in health food shops but it's cheaper to get it in animal feed stores, granulated. It costs $6 a kilo here and a kilo lasts a very long time.

Best wishes. Good to hear your hen's doing better. She will probably need some TLC to maintain that though. Kelp is an endocrinal regulator, so will get her hormones working as they should, which is important in all things not just egg laying. Our entire bodies run on hormones, whereas common facts passed around usually make it sound like hormones are only relevant to the sexual organs, and growing.
I always thought onions were poisonous to chickens?

last year my girls had mites. I mixed Tea Tree oil, Apple vinegar and water. I stood them in the mixture and scrubbed their legs with a soft tooth brush. Then covered their legs with vasoline.

Thanks for sharing, and I apologize for not seeing this earlier!

I hope Red is well!

I just real quick wanted to touch on the topic of using Tea Tree with animals, esp cats....
If you are using YLEO, then using Tea Tree is fine for our feline friends. Due to their size, however, we do need to dilute with a carrier oil.

I congratulate you for taking the plunge and using the gift of oils on your girl!

Blessings be yours!
Teresa, Health and Wellness Educator with YLEO
www.YLdist.com/HappyOilers

I use Oregano with my girls, but I probably wouldn't give it to young chicks simple because there's no way of knowing how much they consume. And if you're using a pure Oregano oil (which of course I hope you are for the sake of pure health), it is too HOT to give undiluted with a carrier oil.

My personal suggestion would be to wait at least until the chicks have their pin feathers. And even then, please make sure you add a high quality olive or coconut oil to it to lessen the heat.

Good luck!
Teresa, Health and Wellness Educator with YLEO
www.YLdist.com/HappyOilers

O yes we only use dōTERRA oils! I knew the oil is a hot one. Can u put it in water tho? We have a 3 gallon nipple waterer. I will wait to give it to them but just wanted to know.

Back
Top Bottom