experiment with bedding

New to chickens and still trying to figure out the best method. This chopped straw seems like a good option

I was wanting to experiment some with our bedding and I'm so glad I came across this thread! I really want to try this! We currently use pine chips and it's VERY dusty and hard to even walk into the coop without having to stick my head out for some fresh air. I am having one problem though...there is not a Lucerne Farms near me in Bloomington, IN. I tried looking on the websites of our local feed stores and such but no luck on chopped hay/straw. Is there anyone near Bloomington (even within 50 miles) that buys or knows where to buy something similar to this? We are very new to raising chickens (LOVE it, btw) and are still learning! Thanks :)

The only difference I can see is the oat is not in it. I'll bet it is very similar to what I am using in my experiment. I didn't know that TSC carried it. That's great! I think that Lucern Farms has not been keeping up with their suppliers listings, because the place I found it was not listed there either. If you are really curious about it, pick up a bag and give it a whirl. I think you'll like it! It is worth the money for the amount of time it lasts and the effort of cleaning it saves you. Are they asking 13.00 for a bag? Or is it more because you are much farther from Maine than I am. I found out that when I buy it in bulk, I can get a discount. Put it in the coop a few inches deep and mix it up every few days. You will see how much less work it is than wood chips. Smells nicer too.....
clap.gif
Ok, Here we go. This hay has been in the coop since June 29th. It smells nice and it is dry. So far just a little dust in the coop....not much though compared to other hays. I have only been turning it over with a kiddie sized rake and smoothing it out. Today I did not have much time, so I just smoothed it over with the rake. There are more feathers now as my younguns are shedding baby feathers still. Since this thread is getting kind of long, I will state again what this is. [COLOR=0000CD]It is Lucern Farms High Fiber Gold for horses[/COLOR]. I am actually thinking of using it in my run, but will see how long this lasts first.
Good morning, I have a question, could you mix Sweet PDZ granules with this product to further the drying and to help with ease of sifting waste? Thanks
1f609.png

So my hens keep kicking their bedding in the coop into their water. No matter how high or how big a dish we use, it gets in there. At least in the coop its the wood chips instead of the litter outside, but I'm worried that they wont drink as much with all the junk in the water.

So my hens keep kicking their bedding in the coop into their water. No matter how high or how big a dish we use, it gets in there. At least in the coop its the wood chips instead of the litter outside, but I'm worried that they wont drink as much with all the junk in the water.

Get poultry nipples. Less water spills on the floor get the horizontal poultry nipples

This may sound silly, but I thought I would give this stuff a try. I typically use chopped straw mulch in the coop and run and the results have been pretty darn good with little dust and minimal cleaning as I only have to turn it over once every couple of days with a small rake. It lasts for a long time and there is no smell, except that of hay. It stays really dry no matter how long between cleanings. The price is comparable to using wood chips. I pile it in deep. As I was looking up more products from Lucern Farms in Maine, I discovered this. http://www.lucernefarms.com/feeds_GOLD.shtml Yes, it is for horses. The interesting thing about this stuff is that it is chopped hay with soybean oil in it making it almost dust free. The price is the same as the chopped straw mulch I have been using. I just cleaned out the coop and put a bag of this stuff in there. It does not seem oily at all. It looks just like the chopped mulch I've been using. The girls just discovered it and are out there scratching up a storm. They really like it. Now, after all this scratching, I will get a good idea of how dust free it is. The other thing I noticed is that it is heat treated, eliminating mold spores. I'll post results when time goes by enough to tell if it has made any signifigant difference. This is the stuff I usually use. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom