experiment with bedding

I'm pretty much done with the experiment, but am happy to hear how the experiment works for anyone else.
cool.png

Being that 90% of soybean production is GMO, wouldnt the oil have the GMO label? For those wishing to keep to organic non-GMO standards, what are your opinions on this product? Just wondering.

I haven't checked in in quite some time..I was using the Lucerne ground cover in my coop, chickens loved it, I loved it, and it lasted a long time..However, I broke out in a wicked case of hives the end of sept/beg of october, and really the only thing I could come up with was maybe the lucerne,,I was sooo peeved:(

Got over my hives, I had removed all of it from my coop and went back to shavings,,well last week I decided to get some more Lucerne, (and I am also peeved as the few bales I 'had' turned moldy!, they were wet inside:( I should have checked them better when I bought them:(

Anyhow, got another bale, and this one had some small wet spots in it, I've told the feed store, not sure it's their storage or coming in that way:(

Soooo I took it and spread it all in my outside run, and filled up my nest boxes, chickens love it, I LOVE it, and no hives so far:))) Yes, it's pricier than shavings,,I pay 11 bucks a bale, but I like it, so hopefully I can go back to using it, mixing it with shavings maybe:)
diane

Here , they are about 6 bucks a bag. Yes, that is cheap. They also get wet and stink right away. I have to change them very frequently to keep the smell away. I tried them in my brooder and noticed a smell after one day. I have also noticed a huge amount of dust with it.
What I am trying to point out is that this straw lasts much longer than the shavings. That is how I can say the price is comparable. This straw, in a 4 x 5 coop ( one bag ), will last about 6 or 8 weeks without changing, and little or no dust as well, with practically no smell. Some would go longer than I, but I cannot stand the look of poopy litter, even if it is not stinky. It will outlast a whole bag of shavings and then some. This is just my opinion. One would have to try it for themselves to see if this is a better option for them. This is why I am calling it an experiment. I have loved my results so far, and enjoy the fact that there is no smell and there is little effort in keeping my coop looking and smelling nice. I hope you understand that I am not trying to endorse some big company or anything like that. I am just trying to make life easier for those who cannot clean their coops so often or have asthma or other allergies. I think it is a great alternative for those who cannot tolerate the dust.
I hope you are liking the idea of trying something new and different. I am.
ep.gif
Your idea is a good one.I like the idea of being able the use straw and hay.The big problem I would see is if it got to wet that it would bunch up.I can't afford it though.I don't change my bedding but once a year.I add and rake as I see the need.I do like the idea of pulling some out and placing it on the garden.Looking at the poop doesn't bother me.I don't use poop boards,but I do use a small spade shovel to clean the roosts and then I rake it into the shavings.
yippiechickie.gif
I do get some dust,but I rake it fairly easy as to not raise to much dust.I also rake when my chickens are out of the coop.That way when they come back in the dust has settled.With the set up I have there is plenty of room and I've noticed that only a few at a time scratch around at a time.I do thank you for the idea.That's where we learn and get different ideas.Thanks

Hi all! After reading the entire thread, I have decided to do the DLM in my coop, thank you all so much for sharing the experiences. I get my first pullets at the end of March. I ended up purchasing the Lucerne premium ground cover that was first pictured and when re reading through realized that it was based on Gold Horse feed.... I hope the bale works!

Ha ha
big_smile.png

That will work just fine. It's just dustier, that's all. Your chickens will love
love.gif
scratching in it! It stays nice and dry and smells great. It is heat treated, so there is less opportunity for mold.....not that it's a problem at this time of year....lol
wink.png

I'm sure you will love your new birds. They are soooo addicting!

Back
Top Bottom