experiment with bedding

Hi CCC,

Well it's been a little over a month using the Hi-Fiber Gold. Absolutely LOVE the smell!!
love.gif
Unfortunately 1 bale didn't cover as much as I thought it would. My coop is 8x12 minus maybe 3 ft. for my storage area. For the price of the gold, I can get 2 bales of pine shavings. Maybe Santa will bring me some Gold for Christmas.
fl.gif
So I have ended up with quite the concoction of bedding for my deep litter--grass clippings, leaves, shredded newspaper, pine shavings, the Gold and now some hay. I was worried it was too cold on the floor where 2 of my Silkies bed down each night hence the hay. DH is concerned the heat lamp is going to cost too much for electricity so I've promised not to use it unless the temps will be in the 20's. So I've been scooping the big poops and burying the smaller ones--turned everything over last Saturday and it looks dry. Coop smells earthy but not poopy and no ammonia so I guess I'm doing okay. It is a little dusty. Do you have any remedy for that?

You can spray it with a small amount of water to keep the dust down, then turn the bedding and spray again. Moisture will help break down the bedding and essentially make it compost itself and that will create heat. There is a very fine line between a just right wet and a mold producing wet.

I also have a large coop chicken area is. 8 x 8 I used 6 bags of the Hi Fiber Gold to give me 6 inches of cover on the floor. I have poop trays under the 14 feet of roost. Most of the poop is collected on the trays. I clean the trays daily. The poop trays have 2 inches of PDZ and some DE in them that I scoop and sift. The hi fiber gold stays pretty clean. I have a manure fork that I use once a week to stir up the hi fiber gold. When I sift the poop on the poop trays some of the PDZ and DE mix in with the hi fiber gold. There is no smell in the coop. I also have good ventilation. I am very happy using it. Thanks to coolcanoechic for this post.:D :D

Back
Top Bottom