EXTREME EMERGENCY!!! Pooping Pure Liquid Blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reurra

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
Over the last 2 days I have been integrating my March 25th Hatched chicks into the coop. They have had visual contact with the older birds for 2 weeks, then I moved them in the day before yesterday.

This morning, everyone looks normal, but my little sussex pullet is pooping pure blood. No other substance in the poop, just straight blood. She is eating and drinking. She is not droopy, but her tail is down. She is alert, walking around. I separated her from the other birds, but she is wanting to go back...vigorously. No lethargic behavior. Bright eyes.

No one has pooped blood before, there has been no signs of illness in any of these birds until now. All the others are running around, pecking, scratching, eating. She is doing the same thing, only when she pooped on her perch there was a large amount of blood, and once again this morning she pooped and it was pure blood again.

Can cocci do this? No other symptoms?

Could she have been injured internally during a fluster with the older girls?

There are no wounds around her vent that I can see.

I need a list of things that can help this. Its $200 to be seen by a vet here and the nearest is 400 kilometers away. Many drugs easily available in the US are banned here or cannot be found. Anything containing "zole" in the name is prohibited from being sold here. Its unobtainable. I know that sulfamethoxazole could help, but again, banned substance.

I keep a clean coop! How could this happen?! None of my birds have ever had this before!!

Last edited:
It can happen even with very good hygiene in the coop. It's just a matter of their being overwhelmed by the oocysts befor they have developed any immunity to that strain of cocci. And cocci can be introduced a number of ways, including by wild birds. I know of some good and experienced chicken keepers who have had a battle with it this year.

Actually as I understand it, amprolium (Corid is the usual brand name here) is the drug of choice when droppings are bloody. Cocci can strike very fast. The tail down is also a symptom of cocci. I hope you can get amprolium! In case you don't already know, it is not an antibiotic, it is a thiamine uptake inhibitor, and works by interfering with thiamine uptake in the cocci.

Yes, I suppose it could be an internal injury, but I don't think I would bet on that.

More info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/775739/blood-in-older-chicks-stool/0_20#post_11087272

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/758621/coccidiosis-sulmet-or-corrid/0_20

http://thecozynest.com/understanding_coccidiosis.htm

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/778478/sick-chicks-post-2/0_20

Last edited:
Because people blame Cocci for every little flutter of a wing when birds get sick many dont understand what the disease really is.
Real cocci can strike just like what you are seeing. In fact it most often does act just like this.
Healthy birds who have a sudden outbreak and that damages the internal structures that causes them to bleed.

People believe they had Cocci because after corrid the symptoms go away. Well, corrid is a wide spectrum medicine and most likely it was something else.
The cocci parasite has a desire to balance itself with the host, but sometimes it gets triggered to go crazy and when that happens you see blood. Normally no warning, or a very hard to see warning then blood, and maybe lots of it.

Listen to the advice you have seen, get some medicine, any kind that will kill cocci will do and follow the instructions for it.

Here's a thread I started to help people undersdand cocci:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/708509/coccidiosis-cocci-and-your-chickens

Good luck to you and your birds.

EDIT for clarification:
I just wanted to add, Corid is a broad spectrum parasite killer and works across species.
Meaning it kills coci across many animal types. It also seems to work killing other parasites.
Not that it is recommended to kill worms and such, but it explains why it cures many chickens who puff up and people link that lethargic puffy stance to coccidia.

So please dont think I meant that Corid can work to kill bacterial or viral infections in my earlier post.

Last edited:
This is what it looks like:

Dose for the liquid is 9.5ml/gallon, make fresh daily. Not sure about the powder, sorry.
hu.gif

-Kathy

I just wanted to add, Corid is a broad spectrum parasite killer and works across species.
Meaning it kills coci across many animal types. It also seems to work killing other parasites.
Not that it is recommended to kill worms and such, but it explains why it cures many chickens who puff up and people link that lethargic puffy stance to coccidia.

So please dont think I meant that Corid can work to kill bacterial or viral infections in my earlier post.

I was told this by my vet,but here are a couple of links.

www.acerlux.com/diseaseconditions/coccidia.html

www.companionpups.com/pages/vaxparasitevirusinfo.aspx

www.agric.wa.gov.au/PC_91839.html

Important to note,that while Coccidiosis symptoms are the same in all animals/birds the drugs used to treat may not be. Just so there is no confusion as to why Corid(amprolium) is recommended.
The last one is the same I found relating to chickens. Most of the rest just mention dogs or cats or whatever. I also noticed that the percentage of ammonia is different in each article as well. Some as high as 10% and all taking at least 24 hours to work. I also found out why the bleach, which will kill them, doesn't work as well as the ammonia. Bleach doesn't sink into anything left on surfaces. For it to work, it has to be a painted surface and no traces of any kind of litter or poop left on them. An iodine mix will also work but has no residual effects. Interesting stuff. I still think the 'old timers' had it right using a whitewash in their coops. Lime will kill the coccidia and a whole lot more. As soon as I can get some breathing room, I am going to be pouring a lime wash floor in my main layer's room. I'm thinking at least 2" deep rather than just a painting. Sand or shavings over it to protect the surface. The health benefits from white wash are unbelievable! Mites, nope, lice nope, some of the resipiratory, again nope. Coccidia? DOA. They can't stand up to the lime. Something to think about.....

Ten chicks, you should start a thread about what medications are available in Canada and how to get them, I'd love to see that! There's a Canadian that can't seem to find wormers or antibiotics over in the peafowl forum, they could really use your help!

-Kathy

Ten chicks, you should start a thread about what medications are available in Canada and how to get them, I'd love to see that! There's a Canadian that can't seem to find wormers or antibiotics over in the peafowl forum, they could really use your help!

-Kathy
I know,in Canada you have to ask for what the drug is,not the brand name,for example don't ask for Corid ask for Amprolium. One antibiotic is Paracillin(contains amoxicillin trihydrate). I am lucky,when i need meds,my vet hands me his book on medications available in Canada,and i look up what i need(with his advice) and he will fill my request. The problem i have found,is that because some of the products are not licensed for use in poultry,the vet will tell you they don't have it,meaning they have it,but it does not say for use in poultry. Also if you know the drug and you know it is safe for poultry,but it indicates that it is for sheep,tell them you have a sheep,vets generally do not ask too many questions regarding livestock.

Drugs are all locked up tight here. Us Canadians we all might want to ingest some Amprolium or maybe some Ivomec,thank goodness they are not available for me to purchase over the counter,i might want to drink a big glass of Amprolium and maybe for fun,i might want to worm myself. Thank you Government of Canada.lol

For worms there is Piperazine,used for ascariasis(roundworm). Currently to my knowledge there are no "approved" drugs for use in poultry for capillaria,caecal worms or tapeworms,so the use of drugs such as fenbendazole,ivermectin,levamizole,oxfendazole and albendazole are used with veterinary prescriptions.

I will go visit my vet and compile a list of drugs available for use in Canada.

Last edited:
Hi.cocci is everywhere. It is a protozoa found in soil. It sounds like coccidosis. Which can happen when they in jest a strain that they haven't developed gradual immunity. there are 9strains of cocci.Symptoms of coccidosis are sleepiness lethergy ruffled feathers and depending on the strain pooping blood. Blood does not always have to be present to be infected with cocci but it depends on the strain. The good news is corid or amprollum kills all 9strains of cocci. Other meds only kill some strains so I suggest treating with corid which is amprollum. It takes care of all 9strains. You can find corid at the feed store. I hope this helps. Best of luck.Treat soon.iI'd treat all the birds because cocci can be spread. best wishes

I agree with Flockwatcher. Corid is the drug of choice and sometimes they don't have symptoms until something like you are seeing or death. I've been hit with it hard again this year and after a course of Corid, I had to switch to Di-Methox to finally clear it up in most of the birds. Another BYC member, Dawg53 has written that buttermilk will help in an emergency, until the proper meds can be obtained.

No meds for Cocci
dawg53 replied to this thread on April 6, 5:41 pm
Give them buttermilk to slow the cocci effects until you can get some corid.
This is the place I buy my meds from and here are the drugs.
http://www.jefferspet.com/corid-oral-solution/camid/LIV/cp/0027132/
http://www.jefferspet.com/di-methox-soluble/camid/LIV/cp/A2-DA/

I believe you can get these 2 into Canada with no problems. Is it possible for you to cross into the US? Is there a Tractor Supply store near the border? I know there's one in Bangor, but that's a good jaunt for you to be taking. I would order both of these drugs as they have a long shelf life and are good to have on hand. If you start them on the Corid, if they do not show improvement within 3-4 days, I would switch over to the Di-Methox, because this may be an enteritis you are dealing with at this point and Corid just doesn't do it for that. For right now, I would use the buttermilk and cross your fingers.

Back
Top Bottom