If it was that easy and quick one should be able to just follow the duck.
Knowing my place and how my ducks are I'm imaging it'd take a very long length and there's no way it wouldn't get tangled up quickly.
Now if I could get her to take to the air to get to her nest it might work. I could follow the string like it was a crashed kite.
I thinking the same you'd be flying a Muscovy instead of a kite.

Knowing my place and how my ducks are I'm imaging it'd take a very long length and there's no way it wouldn't get tangled up quickly.
Now if I could get her to take to the air to get to her nest it might work. I could follow the string like it was a crashed kite.
It’s because I wasn’t able to follow her with out her walking off in the wrong direction, so I waited for her to go to her nest and followed the string. Her nest ended up being in the adjacent lot.

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear earlier

All of mine do or try. Sometimes they're not so good and I find them rather early. Sometimes I never find them and they eventually show up with ducklings.
That's what happened this last time. One morning, there she was, parading them around the yard with 11 babies for all to see. I swear she was like hey y'all look what I did, but don't touch em, look at em, or even think about getting close to em.

We saw her come flying in a couple times, and thought oh the nest is over there, but still never could find it. I swear she just done it to throw us off her trail.

Wdym? I’ve done it before and it didn’t hurt the momma duck you just have to tie it hide and follow her quietly it didn’t take more that 5 minutes to find the nest. I promise it wasn’t inhumane.:thumbsup
She would flog us to death before we could get anything tied to anything. She all but blacked my eye bc we were trying to get her first batch of babies in a pen for safety. Yes, she was going with them, but it was a 12 hour poop show to get em all together.

When mine were young they would climb up under the ramp going into the coop very small opening but some one would make it under or my husband's workshop they would get under there. I had to put hardware cloth and cover every nook and cranny. They finally started using the coops to nest in.
I had an OEGB hen who I would have to stake out to find her nest though it was I spy I found all but one and a very small predator found that one:(
The first time, she was in a tree hole. We liked to never have found her. She was in the neighbor's yard. We wasn't sure of the hatch date, and we heard some coyotes really really close one night, so I went to the chicken lot to check on everybody, and I run down to check on Lillie and her eggs. The tree hole was empty, the eggs were just shells, and I freaked out. I was crying and so upset thinking she died protecting her eggs and they got eat anyway. Then the next morning at 8am, my husband saw her, and all her teenie weenie babies swimming in the creek like nothing ever happened. 🤷🏻‍♀️. As ornery as she is, she probably scared all the predators off. 😆

Back
Top Bottom