Eye pecking- mean chick

mandykbarrett

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2022
We got 6 chicks 2 weeks ago and one of them on day 2 started pecking at the others eyes. She really injured one of my chicks whose eyes were completely shut for two days and even with them shut still came after the eye lids. she's basically been separated with fencing for 2 weeks. Weve tried integrating her back into the flock at least 1x a day each day and she immediately goes for the eyes. I've tried pecking her on the back while she does it or anticipates doing it with no success. For 2 days I put the black chick in with her because she doesn't peck at it's eyes as often, but that didn't seem to help and that chick seemed anxious also I didn't want to punish her. Other posts have said the behavior should be gone when they are 2 weeks old and it's not in the least bit better. Is it time to give her away?

Attachments

• 20221102_201450.jpg
    20221102_201450.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 45
I don't know how to solve that problem but I would mark that chick to never breed and would consider culling it.

I haven't had any serious behavior issues in my flock yet, but I am resolved to never let a problem bird breed and, if necessary, to never let a problem bird disrupt the peace of my flock.

UPDATE: Regina George, the mean girl, has made a miraculous 180. Waited a full 3 weeks of separation and turned off the red heat bulb because I put her in with the others who have a warmer plate, and no more eye pecking! She had still been doing it outside with no red light so I was pessimist, but she must have known that was her last chance and that I had just taken pics of her to post if the integration didn't go well and she's stopped. So glad to not have to get rid of her. Thanks for everyones help.

Back
Top Bottom