Farm Innovators heated nipple waterer

chickiegirlsme

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 5, 2014
Western Maine
Has anyone tried the Farm Innovators heated nipple waterer for chickens, model HB-60P? I'd really like to switch from a regular waterer to a nipple waterer as the girls are constantly getting huge amounts of dirt in their water as the way it is now. But, I haven't been able to find any reviews on this product, and don't want to buy one to find out it doesn't work well. Any comments?

I just looked it up on Amazon...looks like it would be good. No reviews yet, it's the one that's $49? I use a homemade nipple waterer with vertical nipples, and its not going to work in freezing temps....

I looked for the component parts to do it myself, and the total was more than $49, not counting a bucket. I am going to order one. I tried a different one last year, from the same place and it was a pain to clean & refill.

I use buckets with horizontal nipples and really like them. No mess and in winter I can add a bucket heater, haven't had any trouble with leaking or freezing nipples. I made my own with 3 gal buckets due to space considerations. I used the allied precision bucket and utility deicer from amazon.
One thing to consider is that the bucket is likely to be the part that gives out first so, with a fused unit like this you'll be out the $49. If you put it together yourself you can change out parts as they fail. And you can remove the heater to store over summer and keep using the bucket.

I tried one last year. My hens would not use it. They are used to nipple waterers as we have two of them hanging when weather permitts. We bought a new outdoor extension cord and the cord connect they recommend to keep it dry. Once we got it hooked up I realized my next problem would be cleaning the bucket. I would have to unplug it every time to take it out of the run or take a bucket of water and sponge out there (in the winter). I kept the rubber pan in the chicken yard available and that is what they wanted to drink out of so I would have to break the water every morning and/or poor warm water in it.

Since they liked drinking out of pan in the winter, I next tried a heated dog bowl. No. They didn't like that either. They would wait for me to let them out of the run then go stand by the frozen water pan.

Lastly, I hung my regular nipple bucket back up and put in a bird de-icer like you put in a bird bath. It is made for chicken water buckets and does not get hot enough to melt the plastic but keeps the water from freezing. Since it is connected to the extension cord, I just take it out of the bucket and lay it aside while I take the bucket in to clean and refill. Much easier and cheaper. I got mine at Rural King. I still kept the rubber pan in the yard available as well.

Your chickens may be different and like it. You may figure out an easier way to clean it in the winter than my situation provided. Good luck!
c-50p-deicer_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom