Father/daughter mating. Should I let them?

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
Hope I chose the correct thread!

So, I have Trifle (head roo of the entire flock), his main girl Truffles, and their daughter Mable. Mable will be 1 yr this year. Trifle's already started dancing for Mable and Truffles acts very possessive and gets jealous when Mable wants to lay near him. Anyway, I fully expected he'd probably try mating with Mable since she's maturing and laying eggs now. Should I let him keep it up? Even if I allowed Mable to have a chick (she's been broody lately), it wouldn't have any defects would it? Just want to make sure. Would appreciate if anyone with experience in breeding father/daughter or mother/son chickens can share info, too.
mable.jpg
trifle.jpg

No experience with this. However have heard several people saying that if you breed brother and sister it can leave chicks very weak and vulnerable to ilness even if they are not obviously deformed or runty

No experience with this. However have heard several people saying that if you breed brother and sister it can leave chicks very weak and vulnerable to ilness even if they are not obviously deformed or runty
Yeah, I got rid of her brothers ASAP once they started crowing lol because they were harassing her and stressing her out but she seems much happier being with her dad, instead. As far as I'm aware, both father and daughter are healthy but I don't have any information about previous lineage since father was a rescue.

It takes many generations for signs of inbreeding to pop up, and even then, it's most commonly expressed through low fertility rates, way before any form of physical deformity
So would they be decently healthy otherwise? I mostly planned to let Mable have a baby from him (since he's the only rooster that's been around her) but I wasn't going to do numerous generational lines.

Back
Top Bottom