Rooster won't stop mounting duck

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
Hi all, so my boy Sunny has finally reached full size which was exciting... Until he started exhibiting aggressive behavior toward my duck hens. He has his own hen, Goldie, who is the exact same age as him but he will not mate with her! There are also my other 2 hens, Truffles and Bambi. However, Truffles is the ''second in command'' lead chicken of the flock, and is solely devoted to head rooster Trifle. And Bambi is a (adult) bantam welsummer, only reaching 4lbs (and she's only interested in her roo Zazu, same size and breed as her.) Goldie willingly crouches for Sunny but he ignores her and only wants the ducks. Truffles and Trifle are in a separate pen with their chicks, who are now cockerel and pullet age, so all the others stay together in a different pen and we can't afford a new one at this moment. What should I do? I kick and scream at him whenever I catch him but it only does so much.

1690047726907.png

1690047787870.png

Hi all, so my boy Sunny has finally reached full size which was exciting... Until he started exhibiting aggressive behavior toward my duck hens. He has his own hen, Goldie, who is the exact same age as him but he will not mate with her! There are also my other 2 hens, Truffles and Bambi. However, Truffles is the ''second in command'' lead chicken of the flock, and is solely devoted to head rooster Trifle. And Bambi is a (adult) bantam welsummer, only reaching 4lbs (and she's only interested in her roo Zazu, same size and breed as her.) Goldie willingly crouches for Sunny but he ignores her and only wants the ducks. Truffles and Trifle are in a separate pen with their chicks, who are now cockerel and pullet age, so all the others stay together in a different pen and we can't afford a new one at this moment. What should I do? I kick and scream at him whenever I catch him but it only does so much.

View attachment 3585223
View attachment 3585224

🎶🎵🎶 He likes big ducks and he can not lie..and that's 🎶🎵🎶

If I'm reading it right, you have one pullet and two hens and one cockerel and two roosters? Plus some chicks.
You have waaay too many boys and that's most likely why Sunny has resorted to mounting the ducks. Three girls isn't normally enough for one rooster let alone three.
Please don't abuse him, it's not his fault. You need to get your ratio straightened out.

If I'm reading it right, you have one pullet and two hens and one cockerel and two roosters? Plus some chicks.
You have waaay too many boys and that's most likely why Sunny has resorted to mounting the ducks. Three girls isn't normally enough for one rooster let alone three.
Please don't abuse him, it's not his fault. You need to get your ratio straightened out.
I hadn't even realized that is what the post said, but you are right.

I'm planning to sell the cockerels since I know I cannot keep them. Luck was not on my side when Truffles had her chicks. 4 of 5 are cockerels. And it will be a long while before the girl, Mable, is ready to breed. I just don't understand why he's actively refusing the Orpington hen... It's been such a long time since I've had poultry so I'm sorry if I sound dumb. I do know a guy who raises beautiful poultry birds but I have no clue what he charges and I do not want to go through the raising process again like I did with the current birds. But I will certainly see about adding another hen. The lack of hens was fine when Trifle was the only rooster but things took a huge turn after a while.

I'm planning to sell the cockerels since I know I cannot keep them. Luck was not on my side when Truffles had her chicks. 4 of 5 are cockerels. And it will be a long while before the girl, Mable, is ready to breed. I just don't understand why he's actively refusing the Orpington hen... It's been such a long time since I've had poultry so I'm sorry if I sound dumb. I do know a guy who raises beautiful poultry birds but I have no clue what he charges and I do not want to go through the raising process again like I did with the current birds. But I will certainly see about adding another hen. The lack of hens was fine when Trifle was the only rooster but things took a huge turn after a while.
Yep, some more hens will probably do him good and will end his bad behavior.

I agree with @sourland, Sunny is not going to understand why you are kicking and screaming at him. I would suggest rehoming him as well if you can.
I know I sound horrible but the kicking is just an in-the-moment reaction and extremely brief. I'm autistic so I do struggle heavily with my emotions. I love Sunny dearly but I just can't stand seeing my ducks being assaulted by him. But I did think of putting him with the other flock next to them since he's intimidated by the head hen and roo. At least until I can get another hen for him.

Back
Top Bottom