Rooster won't stop mounting duck

I know I sound horrible but the kicking is just an in-the-moment reaction and extremely brief. I'm autistic so I do struggle heavily with my emotions. I love Sunny dearly but I just can't stand seeing my ducks being assaulted by him. But I did think of putting him with the other flock next to them since he's intimidated by the head hen and roo. At least until I can get another hen for him.
Don't worry, you definitely don't sound horrible. I understand totally, as even I have kicked at some of my roosters before as a reaction. My Cornish Cross rooster, Bullet, used to attempt to flog me over his constant want for food. It was only a defensive reaction to kick. He did live up to his name, though.

It's always best to keep in mind that we are the ones that have taken these animals and put them into an unnatural living situation and we have an obligation to manage them in such a way as to make life acceptable for them and for us.

Ducks and chickens are not natural flock mates, if you confine them together in the same small living area it would not be unusual to see some undesirable behaviors.

I say it's not his fault because he has a innate drive to reproduce. If he doesn't have much choice other than ducks, then he's probably going to mount the ducks. Even if you keep pushing him off with your foot, he's still going to keep trying, because that's his main function in life. You're not going to be able to override his basic instincts with reprimands.

I would not put in him with the rooster, hen and chicks, that's a sure recipe for disaster!

We all here go through this at one point or another where we have to decide how many birds we can keep and which ones, taking their comfort and our ability to handle them into consideration. Chicken math got the best of you and now you have 7 or 8 males to deal with. It stinks, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Your best bet is to rehome or cull down to one rooster unless or until you can get another coop set up. Adding one more hen is not going to solve this problem.

Ducks and chickens are not natural flock mates, if you confine them together in the same small living area it would not be unusual to see some undesirable behaviors.
I agree with your whole explanation, but this part I couldn't stress more. I have seen so many people keep ducks with chickens, and it angers me because usually the people who co-exist ducks and chickens have a drake with chicken hens, and don't realize a drake mating a chicken hen will kill or severely injure her. Ducks and chickens are definitely not meant to be together for mainly that reason.

I believe it.
I literally saw it on Chiktok and thought 'That's absolutely ridiculous, no way it works'. My SIL still refuses to 'dry hump' a chicken. But no lie, my daughter and the grand kids did it and he straight up stopped charging them. My SIL is afraid to go in the backyard.

In other news, I have an Ayam Cemani roo who attacks other roosters and ignored me when I yell at him to stop. We had a chat. I decided to try mounting him. (He was appalled.)

Now, when he's being aggressive, I yell his name, he looks at me and stomps off in the other direction.

I never expected something so ridiculous to work. (Side note: he's also sporting blinders but that's for when I'm not around.)

It's always best to keep in mind that we are the ones that have taken these animals and put them into an unnatural living situation and we have an obligation to manage them in such a way as to make life acceptable for them and for us.

I say it's not his fault because he has a innate drive to reproduce. If he doesn't have much choice other than ducks, then he's probably going to mount the ducks. Even if you keep pushing him off with your foot, he's still going to keep trying, because that's his main function in life. You're not going to be able to override his basic instincts with reprimands.

I would not put in him with the rooster, hen and chicks, that's a sure recipe for disaster!

We all here go through this at one point or another where we have to decide how many birds we can keep and which ones, taking their comfort and our ability to handle them into consideration. Chicken math got the best of you and now you have 7 or 8 males to deal with. It stinks, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Your best bet is to rehome or cull down to one rooster unless or until you can get another coop set up. Adding one more hen is not going to solve this problem.
I do want to sell those cockerels because I can't keep them. I am fascinated by how alike they look to their daddy but by the time they mature, I know a war will start. So... If you know anyone in Virginia that wants bantam cockerels send 'em my way LOL. I do need them gone. Whether they become pets or dinner is up to them, not me.

I agree with your whole explanation, but this part I couldn't stress more. I have seen so many people keep ducks with chickens, and it angers me because usually the people who co-exist ducks and chickens have a drake with chicken hens, and don't realize a drake mating a chicken hen will kill or severely injure her. Ducks and chickens are definitely not meant to be together for mainly that reason.
My ducks and chickens get along wonderfully except for Sunny. I have 1 drake and 2 ladies for him so he's been more than happy with them and hasn't exhibited any sexual aggression towards the chickens. But I have thought of moving Sunny outside the pen with a hen or two for him. He dances for all the other hens but they're either not interested or unavailable due to age. I raised Sunny so I really don't want to rehome him or my ducks, but I do want to sell the cockerels to make extra room and eventually make a run out of the two pens.

My ducks and chickens get along wonderfully except for Sunny. I have 1 drake and 2 ladies for him so he's been more than happy with them and hasn't exhibited any sexual aggression towards the chickens. But I have thought of moving Sunny outside the pen with a hen or two for him. He dances for all the other hens but they're either not interested or unavailable due to age. I raised Sunny so I really don't want to rehome him or my ducks, but I do want to sell the cockerels to make extra room and eventually make a run out of the two pens.
Two pens will definitely be the right thing to do in your situation. Remember that a drake can turn at any moment and start trying to mate the chicken hens-mine actually prefers them over his duck hen, but they are separated in different yards. Occasionally one of the pullets will fly over the fence and get in the duck yard, but I put them back before my drake can mess with them.

I do want to sell those cockerels because I can't keep them. I am fascinated by how alike they look to their daddy but by the time they mature, I know a war will start. So... If you know anyone in Virginia that wants bantam cockerels send 'em my way LOL. I do need them gone. Whether they become pets or dinner is up to them, not me.

You might need to give them away for free. Spring of 2022 I made the mistake of letting my broody hens hatch chicks and ended up with 56 chicks, with nearly half of them being male. I live in NYC, so no one wants to buy cocketels or rooster, so I had to give them away for free. I listed them on Craigslist and within a week a man that lives upstate came to get them, to raise for food.

I know I sound horrible but the kicking is just an in-the-moment reaction and extremely brief. I'm autistic so I do struggle heavily with my emotions. I love Sunny dearly but I just can't stand seeing my ducks being assaulted by him. But I did think of putting him with the other flock next to them since he's intimidated by the head hen and roo. At least until I can get another hen for him.
Hey....we are ALL guilty of the aggressive rooster freak out. I myself have slapped a few hens in my day too. Chickens get attitudes and decide they can take you over the silliest things. And there isn't a 100% effective 'How to' manual for chickens, so ...pardon the pun... we just wing it until we get the hang of it.

OK. This sounds ridiculous and far fetched, but we did it and my daughters giant Lavender Orpington roo stopped attacking them. Except her husband, he refused and the roo continued attacking him.

Mount the rooster. No joke. Grab that bird, squat on the ground and stick him between your legs. Reach around and fluff his chicken booty.
Oh my gosh! I’ve done the exact same thing! Just never told anybody!

Back
Top Bottom