Faverolles Thread

Howdy folks!

We recently acquired a flock of Salmon Faverolles from a local breeder who was leaving the country. He said all his birds came from an out of state breeder, but he couldn't remember who. The rooster is supposed to be out of different lines than the hens. I'd be really interested in knowing if anyone sold around 7 sexable pullets and 2-3 cockerels in January or February of 2012 to someone in Texas.

Anyway, we didn't know a thing about this breed until the last month and now we have 8 hens, 10 pullets, a rooster (father to all the pullets and cockerels) and a total of 8 cockerels, most of which are destined for freezer camp.:p

We've had chickens of various breeds for years, but we sold everything before buying these Faverolles. Our interest in the breed is extremely practical. We want hens to provide our family with eggs to eat who also go broody often enough to raise young pullets for future layers and cockerels for the freezer. The docile nature of Faverolles and lovely color is a great bonus since we have young children running around and any mean crittur goes in the freezer directly. ;)

ETA: clarification on date original birds were obtained.

Last edited:
Finally got some pics of my Faverolles! Here are some of my breeding stock for next years chicks. I've got a ways to go before I can really show, but I think I'm getting there slowly but surely :). I really like these birds, so comical and laid back. My daughter calls them Hobbit chickens because of their fuzzy legs.
Really beautiful birds!

I don't know what this one is. Is this a pullet or cockerel?

Cockerel.

Howdy folks!

We recently acquired a flock of Salmon Faverolles from a local breeder who was leaving the country. He said all his birds came from an out of state breeder, but he couldn't remember who. The rooster is supposed to be out of different lines than the hens. I'd be really interested in knowing if anyone sold around 7 sexable pullets and 2-3 cockerels last spring to someone in Texas.

Anyway, we didn't know a thing about this breed until the last month and now we have 8 hens, 10 pullets, a rooster (father to all the pullets and cockerels) and a total of 8 cockerels, most of which are destined for freezer camp.:p

We've had chickens of various breeds for years, but we sold everything before buying these Faverolles. Our interest in the breed is extremely practical. We want hens to provide our family with eggs to eat who also go broody often enough to raise young pullets for future layers and cockerels for the freezer. The docile nature of Faverolles and lovely color is a great bonus since we have young children running around and any mean crittur goes in the freezer directly. ;)

Nice to meet you, welcome to the group, I like your name, fruitful acres. Can't wait to see some pics of your birds :)

I thought I would post in case anyone is interested. I have several nice young Fav cockerels available. I am in Central Oregon. They are 4 1/2 months old and almost 3 months old. PM me if you have any questions.

Hi everyone!

So I'm a little confused! You might remember a while ago I was confused as to whether my 3 Favs were bantams or not.
They're now 24 weeks, two are much smaller than the other one. The two smaller ones have matured faster, with bright red combs and both have started laying in the past week!!
However, the bigger one still has a pink comb and doesn't look close to laying. What's going on? Is it possible someone's bred a bantam to a large fowl and I've got mixed sizes?

I'll have to get some decent scales and weigh them, anyone with bantam favs, how much do yours weigh?

Thanks!
smile.png
xx

Nice to meet you, welcome to the group, I like your name, fruitful acres. Can't wait to see some pics of your birds :)

Thank you. I can tell uploading pics is my next task. :)

I just finished reading the entire thread. It's been a nail biter. I've felt the rush of excitement when Rose and Peter started making contributions to the thread. I've cried when sickness and predators took out prize birds. I've been thoroughly depressed to watch the older breeders disappear and find all the links to some of the most informative web pages dead. I've learned a TON though.

We now have a breeder pen and a layer coop. I've carefully examined the boys and I'm down to 2 cockerels that are possibilities and the father of all who isn't going anywhere. I'd love to pick up a richly colored, typey, breeding quality cockerel if anyone knows how to get one to Texas.

This year, I've put the best colored girls (who happen to be the best layers and have good toes) in the breeding pen. Next year, I'll get much more picky about beard thickness and combs. I don't want to lose sight of the body shape, size and broodiness that I also want to retain, but since the oldest of the hens only hatched last spring, I want to increase flock size and see some girls at maturity before culling any girls.
You all have seen to it that the bug bit me!

This is Hoss. He is the original rooster to this flock, hatched in January or February 2012.

The blurriness is because he wouldn't be still, but he's very light in the saddle with ivory hackles. He's broader and deeper than any rooster we've had of any other breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom