Faverolles Thread

Hi I'm new here and new to chicken keeping actually I don't have any yet).

I am intending to get some for our urban backyard. Looking at breed temperaments, I thought a couple of Faverolles might be good as I have young children (aged 4 and 1), and we're not looking to be drowned in eggs. However I've also heard reports they are very loud, which I think would drive us all a bit mad, and possibly the neighbours as well. Also, is two birds enough for them to be happy?

Any thoughts on this?

I just hatched 11 Salmon Faverolles - I love this breed - let's hope for lots of females and we can't have roosters :) My last batch (of 7) was 5 males/2 females
tongue.gif
There are 4 LF BBS cochins in the photo as well. And a couple not in the pic as they were still drying in the incubator.

Last edited:
I've read the reviews on the Breed forum. Are there others?

If you are looking for a quiet, docile bird then you can not go wrong with Faverolles. We're on our 7th year of keeping chickens in our small backyard in the middle of town and these are wonderful birds. They don't try to escape, they're quiet and they lay a lovely medium to large cream/tan egg. Hope you are able to get some!

If you are looking for a quiet, docile bird then you can not go wrong with Faverolles. We're on our 7th year of keeping chickens in our small backyard in the middle of town and these are wonderful birds. They don't try to escape, they're quiet and they lay a lovely medium to large cream/tan egg. Hope you are able to get some!
I'm really looking forward to getting some.

I am intending to get some for our urban backyard. Looking at breed temperaments, I thought a couple of Faverolles might be good as I have young children (aged 4 and 1), and we're not looking to be drowned in eggs. However I've also heard reports they are very loud, which I think would drive us all a bit mad, and possibly the neighbours as well. Also, is two birds enough for them to be happy?

Any thoughts on this?
Noisiness will depend on the bird's personality, not the breed. I've had some that are quiet, others are loudmouths.

I think 3 is the minimum number of hens one should have, 4 would be even better. That way if something happens to one you aren't left with a solitary hen.

Noisiness will depend on the bird's personality, not the breed. I've had some that are quiet, others are loudmouths.

I think 3 is the minimum number of hens one should have, 4 would be even better. That way if something happens to one you aren't left with a solitary hen.

Thanks. I guess it'll be three then, I don't really think we've got room for more. If we get grown birds or pullets hopefully we'll be able to get some quieter ones. I am filled with fear at the thought of all day squawking...but maybe you get used to it.

Do you have kids? What are they like with them if so?

Thanks again! Very excited about diversifying from children to chickens
big_smile.png

I am filled with fear at the thought of all day squawking...but maybe you get used to it.

Do you have kids? What are they like with them if so?

Thanks again! Very excited about diversifying from children to chickens
big_smile.png
I've never had one squawk loudly all day long. Mostly the loud talking is when they are scoping out a good spot to lay, or if they think they see something dangerous. Some do chatter a lot more than others for the rest of the day but it isn't loud.

I have 2 kids. They are now 13 and 10 but they've grown up with chickens. The birds will make a racket at them because they are usually a source of treats.

Last edited:

I am intending to get some for our urban backyard. Looking at breed temperaments, I thought a couple of Faverolles might be good as I have young children (aged 4 and 1), and we're not looking to be drowned in eggs. However I've also heard reports they are very loud, which I think would drive us all a bit mad, and possibly the neighbours as well. Also, is two birds enough for them to be happy?

Any thoughts on this?

Favorelles are great for your environment! I highly recommend them for people with kids. Mine loves to be with me all the time, and actually likes to come up to me when I'm doing something loud, just to see what I'm doing. My Favorelle is only loud when she thinks an older hen is going to peck on her when they aren't, and when some others come behind her and catch her be surprise, other than that she hardly talks. It really just depends on what you chicks individually personalities will be like. :)

Back
Top Bottom