Faverolles Thread

Hi All,
I need some genetic info. I bought some LF Blue Salmon Faverolle from an eBay seller. Only 2 eggs hatched (1 wasn't even a Fav.) the only other is looking like a pullet (the one time we were hoping for a roo)! Will this pullet carry the Blue gene?
Thanks for reading!
Only if she is a blue or a splash salmon. With pullets it's hard to tell sometimes the difference between the salmons and blue salmons. Look at the wing and tail tips. If they are grey/black she's a salmon. If blue grey then a blue salmon. If white then splash salmon. However there are varying shades of blue, so it's possible the only way you will find out is with a test breeding.

Who did you get the eggs from? I can only think of 2, maybe 3 people with LF blue salmons.

Only if she is a blue or a splash salmon. With pullets it's hard to tell sometimes the difference between the salmons and blue salmons. Look at the wing and tail tips. If they are grey/black she's a salmon. If blue grey then a blue salmon. If white then splash salmon. However there are varying shades of blue, so it's possible the only way you will find out is with a test breeding.

Who did you get the eggs from? I can only think of 2, maybe 3 people with LF blue salmons.

The pullet in question in only 2 weeks old. Not sure if I would be able to tell yet. I bought from a breeder is NY (I can't spell the city) and goes by the eBay name "hiddensunset". I hope she carries the gene, my son worked hard to get those eggs :( Thanks for your response.

I found a listing. Did you get the lavender/blue salmon eggs?

Anyway, to clear one thing up the blue gene is NOT recessive. The blue gene dilutes black. Just one copy of the gene will create a blue. Two copies will give you splash.

salmon x salmon = 100% salmon
salmon x blue salmon = 50% salmon, 50% blue salmon
salmon x splash salmon = 100% blue salmon
blue salmon x blue salmon = 25% salmon, 50% blue salmon, 25% splash salmon
blue salmon x splash salmon =50% blue salmon, 50% splash salmon
splash salmon x splash salmon = 100% splash salmon

Then there's the lavender issue. That is a recessive gene. It is also a diluter of black but it will only show with 2 copies of the gene. BUT a bird can be both blue/lavender and splash/lavender, and it can be hard to tell which are pure for lav.

Last edited:
I found a listing. Did you get the lavender/blue salmon eggs?

Anyway, to clear one thing up the blue gene is NOT recessive. The blue gene dilutes black. Just one copy of the gene will create a blue. Two copies will give you splash.

salmon x salmon = 100% salmon
salmon x blue salmon = 50% salmon, 50% blue salmon
salmon x splash salmon = 100% blue salmon
blue salmon x blue salmon = 25% salmon, 50% blue salmon, 25% splash salmon
blue salmon x splash salmon =50% blue salmon, 50% splash salmon
splash salmon x splash salmon = 100% splash salmon

Then there's the lavender issue. That is a recessive gene. It is also a diluter of black but it will only show with 2 copies of the gene. BUT a bird can be both blue/lavender and splash/lavender, and it can be hard to tell which are pure for lav.
Thanks, this is always confusing especially now when there is so much lavender/self blue breeding in poultry nowadays...

The pullet in question in only 2 weeks old. Not sure if I would be able to tell yet. I bought from a breeder is NY (I can't spell the city) and goes by the eBay name "hiddensunset". I hope she carries the gene, my son worked hard to get those eggs
sad.png
Thanks for your response.
I have Salmon/Blue Salmon large foul....but mine did come from Paso Fino via Mia....I apologize in advance i am not the best with names....but if you contact PasoFino (byc name) she may have something available also....if not i should have some eggs....I have a Blue boy,2 blue girls and a splash besides the Salmon.....eliz

Would this be a bad time to mention that the FavxAm crosses I am going to dabble with are with a blue cockerel? I have been wondering about genetics a lot lately. I know there is a book and web site and kippen... now if only I felt I could access and understand it all. The thisxthat= this much this makes some sense. I have been wondering what would happen if I crossed the Fav cockerel over the black hens or the lav or splash hen.... imagining pretty bearded birds :)

With that said the Fav cockerel from UofA is trying to mount and crow... he's not good at either yet. I plan to keep them separated for a while so that I can be sure of their matings before hatching anything so their pool is separate from all other birds here.

Could someone show me what burns look like on a cockerel's hackles? I think I need to take a few more pics to share and get feedback.

We're all in at the new place...my sister helped me crate the chickens for transport (I caught, she boxed) and she crammed too many into the first box (against my advice, but my own fault really for not triple-checking the pack job before I left, too much of a hurry to get them in to the new coop before total dark). I lost one of my roosters and a hen to suffocation, but the other three (two hens and the other roo) that were in the box seem to have recovered well. The rest of the flock is doing great, loving their huge new coop and laying well right through the move. They're trapped in the coop for now, but it's HUGE for how many of them there are and once the snow melts a bit we're going to build a big covered run off the south side of it to give them even more space.

Off-grid brooder is set up in the living room (our chicks get LOTS of attention), we built a large box out of 1" structural insulated panels and mounted soapstone bricks into the side of it that is closest to the woodstove. The air temperature is room-temp-or-a-bit-warmer, but the bricks are all mounted right at ground level inside the box and are holding a temp between 95-110 on their inside surfaces, so when they get cold they go huddle up next to "stone momma" and get warm. I think it is also helping that we have 29 chicks in the brooder box, so they are keeping each other warm, more than say 3 or 4 chicks would. The Late Lamented Soup was DEFINITELY "active" with my Faverolle girls before he got et, as we have several obvious pure Faverolle pullets and cockerels in this hatch, and a smattering of very, very pretty red pullets with GIANT poofy beards, and a couple of similarly gorgeous porcelain-colored cockerels with black pencilling (which is very close to what that awesome German computer-powered Punnet Square gave me as the results from a Soup-colored cock over a Salmon hen). I am thinking of keeping a couple of the half-breeds for a while, just to see what they turn in to - their dad was a great bird, and I bet those boys will have some really nice fly-tying feathers when they get older...

I have Salmon/Blue Salmon large foul....but mine did come from Paso Fino via Mia....I apologize in advance i am not the best with names....but if you contact PasoFino (byc name) she may have something available also....if not i should have some eggs....I have a Blue boy,2 blue girls and a splash besides the Salmon.....eliz

That would be awesome! Thanks so much!

i have 4 blue salmon hens 2 salmon hens in with a really nice salmon rooster from the UofA my original blue hen cam from pasofino(sp?) farms as well... i got my 1st egg of the spring from them yesterday :)

Back in November I got a couple of young cockerels from Cloverleaf, they're growing into some nice looking roos :) One is light and the other is dark, a good compliment.... Tonight I separated my girls into 2 pens, the pullet makers and the cockerel makers and put the light boy in the pullet pen and the dark boy in the cockerel pen....
fl.gif
I'm not entirely sure the lighter boy is up to task, yet...He's getting there, but still runs from the more aggressive girls. As of 2 weeks ago, he wouldn't even try to mount one, but I wonder if that was because of his slightly older brother
hmm.png
Anyway, I'll see tomorrow....
pop.gif

I think I'm gonna have to break down and get a 'bator..... I can't stand it anymore and I can't wait all summer for one of the girls to decide to sit (or NOT!). I'm afraid. Really afraid.
hide.gif
An incubator is a powerful tool - I could have all the birds I ever dreamed of!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom