Faverolles Thread

While wandering thru the poultry listings noticed that My Pet Chicken plans to have available in 2014, Blue Favcaunas. Our adorable birds with Blue/green eggs…..I wonder how different they will be so if and when the Blue/Black Splash Faverolles become more prominent that they wont be easily confused. Hope the body type is different……..It used to be said that there wasn't another bird colored like Salmon Favs…..but Wheaton Ameraucana's come fairly close.
Yet another thing to add to the confusion for beginners. I hope they list that they are not a real breed

Last edited:
It is a real breed and I have seen them the true Favcaunas are rupless but the hatchery ones are from EE crosses and can look dead up like a faverolle only a hatchery bird because they have less depth

It is a real breed and I have seen them the true Favcaunas are rupless but the hatchery ones are from EE crosses and can look dead up like a faverolle only a hatchery bird because they have less depth

I consider Favaucanas to be a real breed like Labradoodles are a real breed. Which is to say, they are not real breeds. Sorry to be a purebreed snob, but their mere existence does not qualify them for that title.

I consider Favaucanas to be a real breed like Labradoodles are a real breed.  Which is to say, they are not real breeds.  Sorry to be a purebreed snob, but their mere existence does not qualify them for that title.  

I'm with you on this topic. It's only a "breed" when it can breed true for several generations with no throwbacks. Labradoodles require a lab and a poodle. If you mate 2 doodles you get pups with inconsistent qualities. Nope, not a breed.

Hey guys I'm in VA and in need of a new Faverolles rooster. Mine is a year old and he has 7 hens and he isn't keeping them fertile. Out of 4 eggs 1 will be fertile
Cannot remember if it was this list but think the Washington state list that just had a discussion on fertility…..If its cold there, or if You just had a freezing time, there is a good chance that is why there is low fertility if at all….He's only one year, so wouldn't worry unless this is how your summer/fall was too.

People like to tinker with things….did the same with Llamas and Alpacas. We like variation, blue eggs and try to make our favorite flora and fauna the everything we like…..I have seen both tailed and rumpies and they were the product of the owners fancy. Just like Olive Eggers are the colors of those that breed them. Nothing wrong with them, just calling them what they are…..Some good breeds have come of crosses, even Faverolles didn't miraculously appear. Of course to get some colors You need to go outside and hope that You can bring back the goodness, what made that breed special to begin with.

Seeing the pics of Salmons anymore shows that there will always be goals to become more consistent in what is already established.

Hope Everyone Has a Safe, Peaceful and Warm Holiday…..Best Wishes, eliz

Hey all hope your doing well! Just wanted to post a couple pics of the pullets from this year. Still have a lot of growing to do. These are from my best hen courtesy of Keesmom and eggs that Sandiklaws sent me from MA.

This is the hen from Keesmom:

These are the pullets. They have filled out since these. We have snow on the ground now. I especially like on of the above hens daughter. Her leg was broken in an accident as a chick so she wouldn't be showable but would make a nice breeder.

Hope everyone has had a great holiday. I will try and get more recent pictures up soon! I culled my only male unfortunately. As he grew some of the defects he had became more obvious and I made the decision to eat him during my pre-winter cull. Hope all are well.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom