Faverolles Thread

speaking of FEET........

I have 2 Fav chicks :)
Recently I noticed the pullet has an oddly shaped toe. I looked back at some of the photos from 1 week old and it wasn't happening then. She's 3 weeks now...

see how the smaller toe is going over the top of the bigger back toe?

see how the big toe is coming down next to the foot and looks calused/walked on? compare to the bottom foot with regular 5 toes..

I looked back at some pictures from 1 week old and the toes appeared normal then.. so weird
Hi Farmer Viola. Sorry I am so late in responding to this. This problem could be caused by genetic defect or injury not sure. The bird will most likely get around and be a productive member or a laying flock as long as it isn't having trouble walking. But should not be used as a breeder because of toe placement and possible genetic deformity.

I had heard that also but when i tried sorting that way it didn't really come out….Maybe it would with Your eggs????? Try it and let us know how they come out :) Also some breeds have particular shaped eggs….My New Hampshire hen has big, almost round eggs….LF Favs, a long oval egg, same with my blacks….The Bantam Favs eggs are evenly shaped like those You find in the store cartons.

When i spoke of shapes previously i mean't the chicks once they were hatched...

I have 7 eggs in the incubator now and decided to test this theory with my Fav's. 12 days to go, so hopefully I get all girls.

Two years ago I gave some broody silkies 7 LF Fav eggs of mixed shapes. Four were more round, 3 were pointy. All 7 were males.

Last edited:
I don't suppose this would be a bad time to say the 7 of my Faverolles that made it to lock down ALL turned out to be girls HEHEHEHE ..... and come to think of it really didn't pay attention to the shape of the eggs Hmmmmm Very curious though

I started a new topic on our website forum for those breeding varieties other then Salmon to connect with each other. We have had in the past varieties such as Blue Salmon, Buff, Blue, Black, White, Mottled, Mahogany, Cuckoo, and others. It would be a shame to see any of these rare and beautiful color varieties breeders have worked so hard to create disappear. So come on over and get connected with your fellow breeders. Share stock and information. http://faverollesfanciers.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12699452-faverolles-varieties-

I don't suppose this would be a bad time to say the 7 of my Faverolles that made it to lock down ALL turned out to be girls HEHEHEHE ..... and come to think of it really didn't pay attention to the shape of the eggs Hmmmmm Very curious though
That is what I call luck right there haha. I haven't found any difference in egg shape or size. It would be odd if that old wives tail were true because that would mean some hens would have mostly daughters and others mostly sons. Each of my hens lays a distinctly different egg shape wise.

FWIW the coveted Marans egg is a sphere not ovoid and they still hatch out males and females no matter the shape.

Let me clarify-the egg shape most sought and prized is round and both sexes come out of that shape.

I'm new to this thread, (hello!) but hope that I may say something about the topic of egg shape and gender. I don't think there can be any correlation between the two, but I do believe that some hens, for whatever reason, throw a higher percentage of one sex or the other, in the same way as some families of our human species tend to have a long line of sons, or alternately, daughters. In humans, it's the male who will determine the gender, but in poultry, it's the female. Therefore, I should think it highly possible, either through genetic mutation or sensitivity to environmental factors, that certain hens, not necessarily entire breeds, will hatch out a higher percentage of males or females than what otherwise would be considered normal, say 70/30, perhaps higher?

Kind regards,
Kevin

I started a new topic on our website forum for those breeding varieties other then Salmon to connect with each other. We have had in the past varieties such as Blue Salmon, Buff, Blue, Black, White, Mottled, Mahogany, Cuckoo, and others. It would be a shame to see any of these rare and beautiful color varieties breeders have worked so hard to create disappear. So come on over and get connected with your fellow breeders. Share stock and information. http://faverollesfanciers.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12699452-faverolles-varieties-
Thanks Henry, Would love to enjoy more of these colors at the shows so others can see that they exist and know how beautiful they are.

Back
Top Bottom