Faverolles Thread

There were three nice Favs at the Fall Windsor show here in Maine. The cockerel had good size and great shanks/toes but he did have 'burns' in his hackles. The females were pretty gorgeous.
Its always nice to see them. No bantams this time, which is new for me. Usually its no LF.

There were three nice Favs at the Fall Windsor show here in Maine. The cockerel had good size and great shanks/toes but he did have 'burns' in his hackles. The females were pretty gorgeous.
Its always nice to see them. No bantams this time, which is new for me. Usually its no LF.
I think they were Brian Knox's birds. The burn patches are acceptable.

thought I would post some photos of our newest baby chicks :) these Faverolles eggs are from @PiperOmar , hatched by two broodies - one Fav and one Marans mama.

of 14 eggs, 10 made it to day 20... sadly, 1 chick died the day it was hatched, not sure why.
the 10th chick/egg disappeared on hatch day, I'm not sure if it hatched and got out of the nest, or what? there were no unhatched eggs left!

so we have 8 beautiful Fav babies
ya.gif

Last edited:
thought I would post some photos of our newest baby chicks :) these Faverolles eggs are from @PiperOmar , hatched by two broodies - one Fav and one Marans mama. of 14 eggs, 10 made it to day 20... sadly, 1 chick died the day it was hatched, not sure why. the 10th chick/egg disappeared on hatch day, I'm not sure if it hatched and got out of the nest, or what? there were no unhatched eggs left! so we have 8 beautiful Fav babies :ya
they are adorable!

I think they were Brian Knox's birds. The burn patches are acceptable.

I know they are but frankly they aren't as nice as when the hackle is clean. Brian had some amazing birds at the show! If they were his Favs I liked them a lot and then he had these SLWB that were fall down good but I personally was in love with his bantam Cornish. It was a good show. I missed seeing you, though. Finally some more large fowl and water fowl!

thought I would post some photos of our newest baby chicks :) these Faverolles eggs are from @PiperOmar , hatched by two broodies - one Fav and one Marans mama.

of 14 eggs, 10 made it to day 20... sadly, 1 chick died the day it was hatched, not sure why.
the 10th chick/egg disappeared on hatch day, I'm not sure if it hatched and got out of the nest, or what? there were no unhatched eggs left!

so we have 8 beautiful Fav babies
ya.gif

Gosh they are cute!!!!
love.gif

Beautiful mamas too!

Farmer Viola, beautiful chicks, Congratulations.....I do have a thought to think about.....You have chainlink, i would wrap the lower 12 inches in chicken wire or anything that could keep the chicks from going through because they will and drive their mothers nuts because they cannot follow and protect and be vulnerable to the dangers outside the coop like cats, rats and birds of prey.....lost a few this summer to the same thing. eliz

they are adorable!
thank you!!
Gosh they are cute!!!!
love.gif

Beautiful mamas too!
thanks so much! I just love the Fav mama raising the fav babies, even if they aren't hers genetically ;-)
Farmer Viola, beautiful chicks, Congratulations.....I do have a thought to think about.....You have chainlink, i would wrap the lower 12 inches in chicken wire or anything that could keep the chicks from going through because they will and drive their mothers nuts because they cannot follow and protect and be vulnerable to the dangers outside the coop like cats, rats and birds of prey.....lost a few this summer to the same thing. eliz
thanks! and good call, it is definitely not a secure enclosure.. it is a chainlink dog kennel with a heavy duty tarp attached to the bottom pole runners. so the chicks cannot get out, because of the tarp wrapped around all walls to the floor. it was sort of an impromptu decision to put them in there as a temporary broody house, the main run has double layer fencing and chickenwire and is much more secure. but some of my adolescent pullets were pecking the babies when they got away from the moms, so I separated them, at least for a little bit. they are 3 days old and minding the moms much better now, so I will probably move them back into the general population soon. I would hate to lose any to predators!

I know they are but frankly they aren't as nice as when the hackle is clean. Brian had some amazing birds at the show! If they were his Favs I liked them a lot and then he had these SLWB that were fall down good but I personally was in love with his bantam Cornish. It was a good show. I missed seeing you, though. Finally some more large fowl and water fowl!
I wish they had the show over Columbus Day weekend instead. I'd definitely go then. Unfortunately it is always the week before, when my daughter's friend has her birthday party. Sounds like it is a lot bigger than the spring one.

I don't mind the burn patches as much. They often show up on my really dark males. I have a lot of those this year.

What advice can you give for creating a rooster/bachelor pad for SFs? space? how far away from my main flock/hens? etc

I plan on starting on it this weekend. My main coop is on one end of our barn (aprox 10 x 20) and I am thinking of using the opposite end of the barn-wondering if that is too close to the hens and will cause fighting?

Back
Top Bottom