Faverolles Thread

OMG! 1000% yes. :barnie :he

At first I thought it was just my little drama queen, RuPaul, then I thought it might just be the genetics from the breeder, since @estamets and I have birds from the same breeder, but now it just seems like they are generally just dumb. It's my first time with favs, so I hope he calms down and smartens up. Today, after 30 minutes after everyone in my baby flock jumped out of the tractor for free range time, he still could not figure out how to get out! The worst is that I've had him since he was 1 week old, and he's been in this tractor everyday since he was about 2.5 weeks old. Dumb as a rock! And he's a pig too! Eats nonstop, but still doesn't know how everyone else gets their mealworm treats.
...boys! My girl fav is MUCH smarter.

I kept one pullet and one cockerel. The cockerel ended up being both dumb and mean, so I sold him to be future dinner. The pullet is so flighty that I would call her very dumb. She is beautiful though!

I kept one pullet and one cockerel. The cockerel ended up being both dumb and mean, so I sold him to be future dinner. The pullet is so flighty that I would call her very dumb. She is beautiful though!
That is too bad! None of my SF's are flighty but I did spend quite a bit of time with them as chicks. I have the same feeling that you have about my brown leghorn though. Her flightiness drives me bonkers!

I feel bad that you aren't enjoying your SF's. I love mine, they are such sweet chickens.

My SF chicks were a surprise hatch. I wasn't expecting them. I sold most of them to my neighbor. She loves them to pieces! My little pullet is timid which I suppose could make her look more flighty than she is. If any other chicken comes near her she takes off running and go right through water buckets or whatever else is in her way. I hope she does mellow out as she gets older.

Mine have never maintained their lunatic stage that long.  Longest holdout was six months.  A LONG six months, though!

All of mine are raised with as little contact/handling/taming as possible so I can get a clear picture of what their temperament is like. I have noticed that they get flighty around the time they are put out, usually between 10-12 weeks old, and it continues until the first real breeding season next spring. It seems that the birds with bigger beards are a bit worse. The real length of time varies, as I hatch my Faverolles from February through June, generally seeing the birds settle down around March of the following year.

Lord my faverolles is my youngest chick and when it is time to round them up and put them back in the coop it's like chasing a wildfire around the run.

Back
Top Bottom