Fecal testing

needlessjunk

Crowing
7 Years
May 19, 2014
Georgetown, TX
So I've heard it is pretty affordable to have done, but where do you go? Do I just call around? I would rather have them checked for worms rather than just worm everyone for no reason. @casportpony I know you've given me info on worming before. So I want to pick your brain on gape worms.
1f600.png
will they show up in a fecal sample?

Last edited:
So I've heard it is pretty affordable to have done, but where do you go? Do I just call around? I would rather have them checked for worms rather than just worm everyone for no reason. @casportpony I know you've given me info on worming before. So I want to pick your brain on gape worms.
1f600.png
will they show up in a fecal sample?
Sometimes they'll show up, sometimes not. Do you have a small animal vet that you have a good relationship with?

-Kathy

Do you suspect gapes?

-Kathy
I don't think so and after reading a bit more I really don't think so at all. But now that I also have chickens and I know that they tend to need worming more so than ducks I would rather test than just worm and hope that we got everything. I asked a while ago about Rocky my cayuga not quacking and she started up about a week after that when the pecking order was established. Well... today she wasn't quacking and I'm kinda at a loss. I put ACV in their water and in the few hours she is sounding better. I'm almost starting wonder if it may be feed related. The last bag was almost all powder vs. pellets and they would always choke on it and cough. I took a look at their bowl and all that is left is powder. Since you know so much about this I figured I might as well ask for your thoughts.

I also have another duck that has her mouth open and looking up a lot but she started about 2 weeks ago when the temps hit 100. She is still laying and hasn't lost any weight and just seems really miserable with this heat.

As to a vet. Yes there is one that I use but I have asked about ducks and such before and the front end staff just says no. I'm sure I could push it but haven't had a need as of yet.

I'm really worried now and at a loss. She stopped laying about 2 weeks ago but I thought it was due to heat. She has been acting pretty normal and laying down a lot but so is everyone else. Dang on heat is not helping things at all right now. Anyway I just got a good weight check on her and she is 2 lbs 13oz. Last time I got a base weight she was just over 4lbs. She feels skinny and her feathers look horrible. I'm just now starting to put two and two together that something is wrong and she is not molting. She is about 1 year old now. I feel bad and I'm at a loss but I know I need to act now. To compound things I will be gone starting next Tue for over a week.

Does her crop feel normal? Are you open to learning how to tube feed? Do you have any Baytril or any of these:
Second-generation[edit]

The second-generation class is sometimes subdivided into "Class 1" and "Class 2".[76]
Third-generation[edit]

Unlike the first- and second-generations, the third-generation is active against streptococci.[76]
Fourth-generation[edit]

Fourth-generation fluoroquinolones act at DNA gyrase and topoisomerase IV.[80] This dual action slows development of resistance.

Not saying she has an infection, it's just good to know what you have on hand in case you want to throw a Hail Mary.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom