Fecal testing

The good news is that since she does not appear to have an obstruction you can safely tube feed her (tubing is contraindicated when a bird has an obstruction).

-Kathy

Great pictures!  If they don't firm up with her being in a cooler place like your house then my best guess is that she has an infection, coccidia, worms or a combo of them.

-Kathy
I'll keep watching and see what happens. Do you think tube feeding needs to happen still? She is trying to swim in the pan of water I gave here and is eating a little right now while standing in the water.

The good news is that since she does not appear to have an obstruction you can safely tube feed her (tubing is contraindicated when a bird has an obstruction).

-Kathy
Gotcha, we were typing at the same time. Is the tube feeding due to the amount of weight she has already lost? And another poop.

If one can restrain their bird, hold the head and neck up like in my avatar, they can tube feed. Not sure why so many are afraid to try it, but I will guarantee that it's much easier than people think, and it's much safer than syringe feeding. One does not need to be a vet or vet tech, they just have to have a basic idea of avian anatomy, some common sense and be able to hold a bird.

Tubing will not usually "cure" a sick one, but they sure won't die from dehydration/starvation if they're tubed soon enough.

The biggest risk with this bird is that she has already lost lots of weight, so simply handling her could send her over the edge.

-Kathy

If one can restrain their bird, hold the head and neck up like in my avatar, they can tube feed. Not sure why so many are afraid to try it, but I will guarantee that it's much easier than people think, and it's much safer than syringe feeding. One does not need to be a vet or vet tech, they just have to have a basic idea of avian anatomy, some common sense and be able to hold a bird.

Tubing will not usually "cure" a sick one, but they sure won't die from dehydration/starvation if they're tubed soon enough.

The biggest risk with this bird is that she has already lost lots of weight, so simply handling her could send her over the edge.

-Kathy
That makes sense and seeing as she has already lost around 30% of her body weight I see the need. I always like to know why something is suggested :). What exactly do I need? The food from pet co and what else? And where can I pick it up. It will have to wait till I can get the kids in bed and I can give it my full attention.

You said she was pumping like she was trying to lay? did you try putting her in luke warm water and letting her float for a while?

Oh and I don't worm just to worm but being as i have seen round worms in my chickens i know I have to have mine on a worming schedule I don't wait till they have a full blown case of them, My water fowl get wormed 1X a year. my chickens 3X and being in the south our flocks are more likely to get worms. Not saying that is what is wrong with Rocky but you shouldn't be afraid to worm any of them.

Quote:
  • Kaytee Baby Bird Food at Petco or Petsmart
  • 16" of aquarium air line from Petco, Petsmart or tropical fish store. A catheter would be better, but they're harder to find, though some feed stores sell them as "lamb saver kits", and some medical supply stores will have them. Catheter size I would recommend is a size 18. Maybe try calling your vet and see if they'll sell you one?
  • 60ml Syringe to fit whatever tube you get - Tractor Supply should have these, as will a vet and some medical supply stores.

Call me when you get your stuff *before* you tube.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom