Feed Question?

chookmama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
I've just got my first batch of 50 chicks (half Silver Laced Wyandotte and half Buff Orpington). They arrived, strong and healthy yesterday, and so far so good.

I'm just a little apprehensive about the chick starter I'm using. I got it from the Amish feed store where I get my layer mash. It's not medicated, made from open-pollenated grains and very fresh - but it's only 16% protein. I'd heard that brown layers do better on 18% + ---- but on the other hand, the Amish people I buy from have a LOT of experience. Yesterday when they first arrived, and again today, I fed them an extra meal of mashed boiled eggs. I'd been told it was an excellent first food, and I also figured the extra protein wouldn't hurt.

If anyone would like to share experience with using 16% protein chick starter, I'd really appreciate hearing about it!

Also, if anyone is using ACV in the water - (I do with my hens) at what age to you start this?

Finally, I make yogurt and have quite a lot on hand right now; any thoughts on mixing that with the egg? It sounds like a good idea to me, but I'd only be guessing, don't really have a clue.

Thanks in advance for any shared experience on these feeds....

Yogurt would be good for them just use it sparingly. I used a 20% starter but only because that's what they had at the store. The starter you got sounds nice. I'm sure the people you got it from wouldn't use it if they had problems and they likely have a lot more experience than anyone I know when it comes to raising chickens. If you'd like to increase the protein, you could supplement with eggs and a little meat. It will probably help while they're feathering out.

Thank you! Am surprised that the little Wyandottes are already sporting wing feathers (they're 5 days old) but the Orps are still just down. Any guesses about that? Do Wyandottes typically mature a little faster, or do you think Strombergs actually hatched the Wyandottes a little earlier?

Fun watching them grow, but it just makes me think of more questions!

My little heritage SLW pullet has grown very slowly, but she's getting to be good size now.

16% protien is OK for layers but not for baby chicks... but it sounds like you already have a handle on it.

Good luck, you'll be getting lots of eggs by February!

That's what I thought, too - but - it IS chick starter (looks different from my layer mash) and is what the local Amish use. I wonder if it means slower but still strong growth, or if I'm setting them back in some way? It's not broiler starter - they make a different mix for meat chickens. Maybe I should have gotten that ---

Maybe you could get a bag of their broiler starter too and mix it in, to bring up the protein a bit. With 50 chicks you will go through a bit so it is a fair chance you'll use the whole two bags
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom