Feed?

Wow, I had no idea chicken feed ran so cheap! In that case I suppose it really is probably stupid to pay so much! Haha I guess I'm just used to dog food where they can get away with hiking it up because pet parents will pay anything to spoil their pets. :p Personally though even with dog food I have a limit on how much I will pay and I buy it online where it's cheaper. To me, if you're going to pay $80-$100 you may as well just feed raw and do away with the kibble all together. Haha anyway, back to the chicken food, that's a good idea to look for a local mill. I never even thought of that. I am in Massachusetts but I'll add that to the signature. I also wouldn't mind going to the surrounding states, especially since some of those are closer than parts of my own state. They'll definitely be getting lots of extra treats/scraps too, though I will try to limit it somewhat aha

That's a good point about the bugs and stuff though, I didn't even think about that being sort of "meat" for chickens. So since they eat both does it really matter too much the source of the protein? They don't usually say it anyway, right? They'll definitely get tons of bugs and things though.

I'm glad you mentioned about scraps and stuff too because I hadn't really realized that just commercial food the eggs would still be pale. I mean, I was planning on giving them scraps and/or free ranging them anyway but I didn't think about the eggs being pale if they didn't.

As for the second bit, that makes a lot of sense! Seems like I should probably definitely avoid that one then. So do they need the oyster right away, like all along, or only when they get close to laying? And for the grit, I'm guessing I do need to provide it then? I think I'll probably free range them and our yard is large so I'm sure they'll find lots of stones and if not, we have gravel fill at the bottom of the driveway because we had a sinkhole last year and got extra and that's good sized with smaller stuff mixex in and my mom has stones at most of the entrances so plenty for them, albeit maybe a bit big, so would those be okay or should I still provide the grit? If I kept them confined I'd probably provide it

Wow, I had no idea chicken feed ran so cheap! In that case I suppose it really is probably stupid to pay so much! Haha I guess I'm just used to dog food where they can get away with hiking it up because pet parents will pay anything to spoil their pets.
tongue.png
Personally though even with dog food I have a limit on how much I will pay and I buy it online where it's cheaper. To me, if you're going to pay $80-$100 you may as well just feed raw and do away with the kibble all together. Haha anyway, back to the chicken food, that's a good idea to look for a local mill. I never even thought of that. I am in Massachusetts but I'll add that to the signature. I also wouldn't mind going to the surrounding states, especially since some of those are closer than parts of my own state. They'll definitely be getting lots of extra treats/scraps too, though I will try to limit it somewhat aha

That's a good point about the bugs and stuff though, I didn't even think about that being sort of "meat" for chickens. So since they eat both does it really matter too much the source of the protein? They don't usually say it anyway, right? They'll definitely get tons of bugs and things though.

I'm glad you mentioned about scraps and stuff too because I hadn't really realized that just commercial food the eggs would still be pale. I mean, I was planning on giving them scraps and/or free ranging them anyway but I didn't think about the eggs being pale if they didn't.

As for the second bit, that makes a lot of sense! Seems like I should probably definitely avoid that one then. So do they need the oyster right away, like all along, or only when they get close to laying? And for the grit, I'm guessing I do need to provide it then? I think I'll probably free range them and our yard is large so I'm sure they'll find lots of stones and if not, we have gravel fill at the bottom of the driveway because we had a sinkhole last year and got extra and that's good sized with smaller stuff mixex in and my mom has stones at most of the entrances so plenty for them, albeit maybe a bit big, so would those be okay or should I still provide the grit? If I kept them confined I'd probably provide it

They have ZERO need for the oyster shell until they are laying. You can put it out, they will ignore it so why bother? That is why I don't want it in my feed (there is a base level of calcium anyway). However it works, they know when and how much they need, same with grit. I don't have grit for mine because they are outside all day every day and find whatever they need but they DO need it (purchased or natural) if they are eating anything other than processed chicken feed. That stuff can just fall apart as it passes through but other things need to be ground up in the gizzard which is where the grit "lives". You already have it so put it in a separate container, off the ground, just screw a tuna can or something to the wall. For oyster shell, I'm using a small metal bread pan that was in the barn when we bought the house. I'm sure you have something you can use in your "store of junk" :D

If you have not ever cracked open a true "eats a big variety of foods" chicken egg, you will be amazed at the deep yellow/orange color of the yolk when you do. I sell excess (not that it happens all that often
sad.png
) eggs to a couple of people I used to work with. I dropped by one of their houses with a dozen eggs a few weeks ago. She INSISTED on showing me how awful the eggs she had been buying were. And, mind you, these were from commercial "pasture fed" hens. I tried to talk her out of wasting an egg, use it to bake something but she INSISTED. ICK! VERY pale yellow yolk, white was a bit milky. Hard to believe it came out of the same species. She said they are only going to eat eggs they get from me from now on! Come on pullets, start laying, I got PRESSURE here!

That's very true. I'll wait.on the shell then. And I'll probably use this grit but won't buy more since they'll be out in the yard finding their own grit. And you're probably right, I'm sure we do have something in all this junk. :D

As for the eggs, I think we actually have had local eggs before, got some from our friend and some from the people down the street, a few times, but not in a while and I don't really remember the yolk being vastly different but I'm sure it probably was. I know they tasted better for sure. But oh wow, that's pretty funny hahah hope they lay!

I like the idea of feeding my chickens Sawyer and corn free organic food. But it is expensive. I also feed my dog and cat raw food but that's another topic :) Ordering from Amazon is very convenient when nothing is available locally. I buy the scratch and peck brand, and I also plan on buying a bag of the H and H. I like these brands because they do not have soy or corn and they both have animal protein. But all of that leads to more cost. But I also plan on feeding fermented food which means they will be eating less of it.
I'm not raising chickens for profit, so I am willing to pay more for good quality feed. But it does all come down to personal choice. It is also my opinion, purely my opinion, that it is good to change brands or have different brands once in a while. It gives your birds more variety over their lifespan. But you kind of have to mix them together at first to transition. Some people never do this and that's fine. It is just something I personally choose to do. There are a lot of different ways to do things and people have very strong opinions. Just do your own research on good sites like this one and then you can decide.

Thank you so much for all the great advice! I'll have to go back to Amazon and look around again and maybe buy it. They're on medicated Agway chick starter/grower and I don't want to waste it but I also don't want them to be on it forever and really would like something better so I'll have to look into it. There's still a lot left because my mom bought two 25 pound bags. Should have just bought one but oh well. 5 weeks Monday. Anyway, yeah, they're not for profit either and pets plus even expensive chicken food is cheaper than expensive dog food so I will have to look into that. I'm glad you find it to be a good brand though so will have to try it. Thanks for all your help though. :)

Thank you so much for all the great advice! I'll have to go back to Amazon and look around again and maybe buy it. They're on medicated Agway chick starter/grower and I don't want to waste it but I also don't want them to be on it forever and really would like something better so I'll have to look into it. There's still a lot left because my mom bought two 25 pound bags. Should have just bought one but oh well. 5 weeks Monday. Anyway, yeah, they're not for profit either and pets plus even expensive chicken food is cheaper than expensive dog food so I will have to look into that. I'm glad you find it to be a good brand though so will have to try it. Thanks for all your help though. :)
you don't have to waste the food, you can use up the starter. Then feed them something different when they're older. Tonight I just ordered some H and H brand layer feed. I plan to mix it with the scratch and peck. The combination should give them a good variety. And maybe I can figure out which one I like better. Both have "free" shipping from Amazon. Still expensive though. When I got my chickens they were just babies and I fed them the Purina medicated chick starter. They are just fine. One died at about one year but I think it was from the heat.
I think it's easy for people to become "snobs" when it comes to what they feed their animals. I don't worry about what other people think, I feed them what I feel comfortable with quality and price.

Good luck with the new chicks! I've fed agway brand feeds to my six pullets for their whole life 16-20 weeks so far) and they seem to be healthy and they really like the food as well. I will be switching to agway hearty hen layer for them once they start laying. I don't think they are in anyway bad foods (although people might argue there are better).

you don't have to waste the food, you can use up the starter. Then feed them something different when they're older. Tonight I just ordered some H and H brand layer feed. I plan to mix it with the scratch and peck. The combination should give them a good variety. And maybe I can figure out which one I like better. Both have "free" shipping from Amazon. Still expensive though. When I got my chickens they were just babies and I fed them the Purina medicated chick starter. They are just fine. One died at about one year but I think it was from the heat.
I think it's easy for people to become "snobs" when it comes to what they feed their animals. I don't worry about what other people think, I feed them what I feel comfortable with quality and price.

Thank you again for the help. :) I think I will continue with this for a while. Although the only thing is I didn't realize (and the guy didn't either) that it's starter/grower. He had said most feed the medicated to 8 weeks but I read the tag and realized it's grower too and I don't think I want to feed medicated all the way to 16 weeks so we will see. They are eating a lot and I've wasted I bunch from them pooping in it and.me just dumping it or them tipping it but both happen less now. Well actually tipping just started cause they're heavy now lol but yeah. Probably will waste it anyway unless they can eat a ton. Maybe will give it away or something so someone else can use it if they don't eat it.

But yeah, I was looking at those brands and may add Coyote Creek too or try NatureSmart or NatureWise occasionally just for something cheaper. I don't know.

I didn't realize though that it was only 20-25 pounds and still that price. i wouldn't mind if it was that much and 30 or 40, even 50, pounds but it seems kind.of steep for 20 or 25 pounds but I guess it's fresh. With 8 though it may go faster as opposed to only 2-4 or something but supposedly they also eat less of it because these are supposed to be better quality feeds and I think I might free range them too so hopefully that will help with the feed consumption and price and they'll go through less. But we'll see and if not that's why I'm adding the cheaper foods

Back
Top Bottom