feeding Chickens Black pepper

I started giving my hens cayenne about a month ago,I went from 2-3 eggs a day,I have 9 hens,well now i average 5-8 a day.So I am convinced that the cayenne works.I just mix it in thier mash.
smile.png

I have also read that cayenne pepper is a natural dewormer. Maybe its an all around good thing to give. 2, possible 3 of my pullets are laying now. All of them (4 outside 1 inside) squat, combs and waddles are big n red. I added some black and cayenne pepper in with some oatmeal for them today. This is their first time for both oatmeal and pepper for them. IF the pepper does make them lay or lay more, I didnt want to give it to them too soon and force them in to laying before they were really ready. I think all my outside girls are ready but my inside girl is getting over sour crop. She is still on a soft foods diet.

O.K. I'm going to give this a try, my girls are just starting to lay after their first moult, one every other day from five healthy happy hens.
roll.png

AND I just got a gianormous thing of pepper from the thrift store. (you don't think they will be pepper snobs do you?)

I haven't updated for a few days but apparantly the pepper has helped. I started on the 17th when I was getting 2-3 eggs a day. I consistently got new layers every couple days and as of today all 11 of my girls that should be laying are. Now that they have been 'kickstarted' I'm going to continue the pepper for a week or so then stop and see if anything changes. I will keep you posted.

Ok I'm sold on red pepper. Mixed a cup of cottage cheese with about 3 Tblsp flaked red pepper. They went for it since cottage cheese is one of their favorite items. Now we'll see what happens. I'm excited to try this.

I started with pepper mixed with their pellets last week after reading this thread. I have 6 hens total. Two are new to me(since last week) Java's and the others are 2 older Java hens, an older EE hen and a1.5 yr old RIR hen. The 4 that I have had for a while went into molt a few months back and I was getting no eggs at all from them. Now, at least 2 of my existing hens are starting up again and 1 of the new hens is starting to lay. Today I got 3 eggs for the first time in months. I will be continuing with the pepper for sure. It seems to give them a kick start.

Holy, holy, holy......I have an egg! After one week today I got 1 egg.....and a big egg at that! No eggs were coming out of the house at all. Has to be related to the pepper. Got an economy size pepper from Sams yesterday...going to put to good use! Wish I knew how to post pics...I could show all of you!
ya.gif

I have my girls on lights and get between 14-18 eggs daily from 25 hens. I added about a tablespoon of ground black pepper to their morning treat once. No change in egg production or water consumption for that day or the following day. The 2nd day after pepper snacks, I got 22 eggs. I have never gotten that many eggs before. Following day (day 3) and since, they're back to the normal 14-18 eggs a day. Think I'll give them another round of pepper snacks and see what happens.

I learned the cayenne pepper thing from my granny who did it het whole life.
it is the capcazine or how ever it is spelled. LOL
it causes a chemical kick start to the reproductive organs in a hen. it works in a late bloomer too!

My granny would fix a pan of corn bread like we would eat but put 4 heaping tbl sp of cayenne pepper in it.
its a nice treat for the chikens and a treat for you in a few days! LOL
Chickens do feel the heat but NOT like we do!!! They love it!! and yes they are smart enough not to eat foods/plants that will harm them. It's strange how an animal just knows what to avoid even if they have never seen it before!

I do not use the pepper constantly only when needed.
and even then you have to realize that some times the body does need a break!

Try not to "Burn out your chooks!" LOL :p

Good Luck and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom