Feeding Chicks

chickbrad24

Songster
7 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hello My Fellow Chicken Friends,

It's been awhile and I have a Quick question, At what age can I feed my chicks grower/finisher ? I'm feeding them chick starter right now they are one brooder is 4 weeks old the 2nd brooder they are 2 weeks old.

Hello My Fellow Chicken Friends,

It's been awhile and I have a Quick question, At what age can I feed my chicks grower/finisher ? I'm feeding them chick starter right now they are one brooder is 4 weeks old the 2nd brooder they are 2 weeks old.
The only or rather main difference will be protein level and whether they are medicated or not. Most other differences are minor.

I feed everyone Purina flock raiser with 20% protein and about 1% calcium. It works well for my chicks and my adult birds with oyster shell on the side for active layers. My birds are always at different stages in life.

Grower, finisher, flock raiser, all flock, starter... all confusing terms and each company uses their own. The tag sewn on the bottom will tell you the guaranteed analysis for the most important nutrients. I saw starter at Wally, maybe manna pro that was ONLY 18%. While some growers are 18% and some other starters will be 20-22% protein.... The label at the bottom also has the ingredients listed. I buy what's available to me at a price I can afford and a recent mill date. This may vary by region and by store I pay as much as $3 for the same feed. But freshness matters to me. One other difference I can think of in feeds might be pellets verses crumble. Small chicks may have a hard time with pellets.

In other words.. feed it too them when you want... just not layer since the protein is low and the calcium is high (for growing non laying birds). Keeping it simple works pretty well!

If they haven't ventured outside yet, maybe bring in a plug of dirt. Grass, roots, and all. It works as great enrichment plus exposes them to some of the bacteria on your pasture before they go out full time so they can build some resistance. Presuming that it's pesticide and herbicide free. :)

Most importantly to me... don't feed scratch. But if you do, NOT more than 10% of their total daily ration since it is low in protein and doesn't have the added vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that a formulated ration does.

Sorry so long... but hope it helps. :thumbsup

The only or rather main difference will be protein level and whether they are medicated or not. Most other differences are minor.

I feed everyone Purina flock raiser with 20% protein and about 1% calcium. It works well for my chicks and my adult birds with oyster shell on the side for active layers. My birds are always at different stages in life.

Grower, finisher, flock raiser, all flock, starter... all confusing terms and each company uses their own. The tag sewn on the bottom will tell you the guaranteed analysis for the most important nutrients. I saw starter at Wally, maybe manna pro that was ONLY 18%. While some growers are 18% and some other starters will be 20-22% protein.... The label at the bottom also has the ingredients listed. I buy what's available to me at a price I can afford and a recent mill date. This may vary by region and by store I pay as much as $3 for the same feed. But freshness matters to me. One other difference I can think of in feeds might be pellets verses crumble. Small chicks may have a hard time with pellets.

In other words.. feed it too them when you want... just not layer since the protein is low and the calcium is high (for growing non laying birds). Keeping it simple works pretty well!

If they haven't ventured outside yet, maybe bring in a plug of dirt. Grass, roots, and all. It works as great enrichment plus exposes them to some of the bacteria on your pasture before they go out full time so they can build some resistance. Presuming that it's pesticide and herbicide free. :)

Most importantly to me... don't feed scratch. But if you do, NOT more than 10% of their total daily ration since it is low in protein and doesn't have the added vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that a formulated ration does.

This was very helpful, I'm currently feeding them Dumor non medicated chick starter I think its 24% can I feed them the the finisher/grower that's 20% would that 4% make a difference ?

:goodpost:
I'm a flock raiser for all feeder here too....so simple for my mixed flock. I brood in the coop and integrate chicks at 3-4 weeks, so my flock has a wide range of ages (currently 15 months, 10 months, 10 weeks, 7 weeks, 5 weeks all living together in the coop and run and 1 week olds in the brooder section of ther coop).

I have a lot of starter left over, but they're well out of chickhood. Calcium damages chicks' kidneys, but mine are old enough to have some, so I recycle egg shells by crushing them up and mixing it into their feed. My question is, is it okay to use crushed duck eggs for this purpose? Since duck eggs have stronger shells, will the eggs they lay have stronger shells? I'm planning on doing an experiment when they start laying eggs to determine it, but I'd like the advice of people with experience if I can get it.

Since duck eggs have stronger shells, will the eggs they lay have stronger shells?
Ducks don't have stronger shells than oyster as far as I know. :confused:

But EVEN if they did... that isn't how it works. The calcium is absorbed into the keel bone where it is then redistributed to the shell gland and then laid onto the egg. So regardless of which kind of calcium you use it will be processed through the body and make the same hardness egg shells as what that individual is capable of producing. But don't let that stop you from experimenting! :wee

I have a lot of starter left over, but they're well out of chickhood.
Use that starter feed up, if it's unmedicated. Your birds will enjoy it and it won't go to waste. If you have OS on the side it's perfectly fine for layer too. If you want mix it with your current feed in halfers and get the nutrient density midway between the two until it's gone.

I NEVER mix my egg shells into my feed. They are always offered on the side. The feed dish... holds feed.

Calcium damages chicks' kidneys
That is an inaccurate statement. :hmm

Calcium is ESSENTIAL to life and without it they die. :old

Too much calcium (more than 3%) has been shown that it *can* (doesn't mean will) cause gout and even kidney failure if fed LONG TERM to birds NOT in lay. So that doesn't JUST mean chicks. It means molting or brooding hens, roosters, chicks. However some people do feed layer with the excess calcium for years on end and have their birds live fairly long lives without complication. It is *most* likely to happen if the bird is somehow genetically predisposed to kidney issues. And especially if the birds are fed a heavy treat laden diet! It is very often more than just one factor. I have seen WAY to many fear mongers on here regarding calcium who only spread one half of the story. :smack

This was very helpful, I'm currently feeding them Dumor non medicated chick starter I think its 24% can I feed them the the finisher/grower that's 20% would that 4% make a difference ?
If you were trying to grow your birds out for processing soon, then it might make a difference. But 20% is PLENTY of protein and ALL your birds should do fine. I will say, that I haven't heard lots of good things about Dumor... which I think might be made for TSC by Purina?... It SHOULD be fine but if you have the Purina flock raiser available at a close or equal price I MIGHT consider switching. Not that I think it's perfect, but I haven't heard a lot of people complaining about bird condition like I have with the dumor. So just be aware. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do feed Dumor and never have issues also... they just aren't the ones I heard about.:)

Thanks for correcting me on the calcium thing. I get things mixed up sometimes. And the duck egg thing.
As for mixing a half-and half feed to shells, I'm trying to use up the starter feed as fast as I can so that I can buy a bag that doesn't feel like it weighs a million pounds! Besides, I don't have enough egg shells to even do one third, so I'm spreading it out.

Back
Top Bottom