Feeding egg shells

I am new to this chicken stuff so what should I do bake and crush the eggs? Only crush? Or just give them the whole egg shell? I dont want egg eaten chickens so any advice is helpful. Thanks!

BunnyLover44

I am new to this chicken stuff so what should I do bake and crush the eggs? Only crush? Or just give them the whole egg shell? I dont want egg eaten chickens so any advice is helpful. Thanks!

BunnyLover44
What you are trying to avoid is that they make the connection. So yes crush them.

hi bunnylover

this has been covered but beware of salmonella. I rinse, and dry, then hand crush. Goes in the compost which they freely groom every day.
I use to rinse, microwave, blenderize till I read this website.

Cheerio

We rinse out the shells as we use them (so the smell doesn't grow) and keep a bowl for the shells to dry. Whenever my bottle of oyster/egg shell mix gets low, I will throw the egg shells in with oyster and run it through a coffee grinder for a few seconds. This makes all the pieces nice and small and aids digestion. I also make some that is almost a powder to add to my chicken muffin treats, this works as a binding agent to keep them together, so the flock can tear them up...After baking the muffins, they become pretty hard and the chickens have to work pretty hard to get to the goods, but they love-em. Definitely worth the trouble.

I run them under water and but them in my chopper, then I feed them sometimes just put on ground with crushed corn, I was told it helps harden the eggs, but then for a month I have not been getting eggs someone said they give them salt was wondering what that would be, we have had chickens for 5 years and never had a problem, we do give them oats like we give our kids and a horse feed looks like rice shape also give it to our rabbit they love it, the rabbit was right next to them and she kicked feed out of cage chickens right there to eat it so I started feeding it to them, I have always given my chicks the shells never but in oven or micro just let set till next day then crushed them and give them.

I run them under water and but them in my chopper, then I feed them sometimes just put on ground with crushed corn, I was told it helps harden the eggs, but then for a month I have not been getting eggs someone said they give them salt was wondering what that would be, we have had chickens for 5 years and never had a problem, we do give them oats like we give our kids and a horse feed looks like rice shape also give it to our rabbit they love it, the rabbit was right next to them and she kicked feed out of cage chickens right there to eat it so I started feeding it to them, I have always given my chicks the shells never but in oven or micro just let set till next day then crushed them and give them.
I took this off the inter-web;

Okay, okay… So the title is a little dramatic.
It’s really not a sin to feed your chickens these things, and not all of them are deadly (although they could be…), but I couldn’t resist the title.
icon_wink.gif

But, I figured I needed to do some research into what is healthy and not-so-healthy when it comes to feeding chickens, since I LOVE to give my girls table scraps.
In fact, it feels absolutely bizarre to me when I’m at someone’s house and I watch them throw celery tops, broccoli stems, or banana peels in the trash. That’s valuable stuff at my house!
Our goats are rather picky, and they only like choice items such as watermelon rind or cornstalks. But our chickens can be depended upon to be the homestead garbage disposals.

I keep a bucket right on my kitchen counter and continually toss scraps in it while I’m cooking. Things like leftover rice, tomato ends, carrot peelings, or leftover popcorn end up there, along with the occasion eggshell. (I usually save back my eggshells in a separate container to feed to my hens, but sometimes I get lazy…)
My girls eat most of what I give them, but I have noticed that they will leave items like citrus rind or avocado peels in the bottom of their scrap pan.
It got me to thinking, so I asked the folks on The Prairie Homestead Facebook page if their girls usually eat citrus. I got a bunch of differing responses, but the consensus seems to be that most chickens don’t like citrus peelings, and some folks even report that feeding citrus can result in soft shells.

So, I decided to do some research on what else I shouldn’t be feeding my flock. I’ve found that there are some definite no-nos… I’ve been guilty of tossing most of these items into the feed bucket at some point, and I didn’t have any birds drop dead–but I’m going to be a bit more careful in the future!
7 Things You Shouldn’t Feed Your Chickens

1. Avocadoes (mainly the pit and peel)
As with most of the things on this list, I was able to find several people who report feeding avocado to their flock without problem. However, it seems that most sources advise against it. The pit and peel of an avocado contains a compound called persin, which can be very toxic to birds. I’ll definitely be leaving these out of my chicken bucket from now on!

2. Chocolate
I think most of us probably wouldn’t feed chocolate to our hens, since it’s famous for being toxic to dogs. Theobromine (the compound that cause illness in dogs) is also thought to be toxic to poultry, so it’s best to steer clear. I doubt my girls have much of a chocolate craving anyway.
icon_wink.gif

3. Citrus
Actually, I think that the jury is still out on this one… I’m not 100% convinced that citrus is bad for them, since I’ve heard such varying reports. I know that my girls won’t touch it anyway, so I don’t have to worry too much. If you are nervous, it might be best to use those peels to freshen your garbage disposal or make all-purpose cleaner instead.

4. Green Potato Skins
Green potatoes contain solanine- another toxic substance. It’s ok to feed your flock regular or cooked potatoes, but avoid those green ones.

5. Dry Beans
Cooked beans are fine– but their dried counterparts contain hemaglutin– a big no-no.
6. Junk Food
Hey- if you don’t eat junk food, then you won’t have any leftovers… So you won’t even have to worry about this one, right?
icon_wink.gif
Highly processed food isn’t good for you, and it’s not good for your hens either.
7. Moldy or Rotten Food
For obvious reasons… If it’s rotten, just toss it.

- See more at: http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/...-feed-your-chickens.html#sthash.qkCJOraW.dpuf

I have been grinding the shells up in a coffee grinder for about four months now. I just rinse them up in water. I have not had a problem so far. I sprinkle the shells in the feed a little at a time.

Back
Top Bottom