Feeding Eggs

interesting.
I got curious about dry weight protein content, because water isn't food. but I am lazy, so I only looked up a nutrition label for dehydrated eggs.

it says 13g=1 large egg
5g fat
6g protein

so that's a whopping 46% protein and 38% fat 🤣

(yes this is a lazy calculation with stacked rounding errors)
Yes, it is a LOT of fat. Which you can compensate for, or keep it very infrequent.

I'm glad to see this, and wonder how it would translate to dogs. I have needed to cook my dog food for the past 2 years. Ruger was allergic to every commercial we tried. He was having to take medication @ $200 per month in addition. So, he gets 1/3 protein source (meat is getting expensive), 1/3 brown rice, and 1/3 vegetables. He is doing well on "real food"- we were doing Farmer's Dog before I saw the ads.

I found a recipe that says the protein source meat can be substituted with 18 hard boiled eggs. I wonder if anyone knows how this compares to beef or chicken meat? It would be great on my pocketbook to use older eggs instead. Is it feasible to do it regularly, or occasionally?

I'm glad to see this, and wonder how it would translate to dogs. I have needed to cook my dog food for the past 2 years. Ruger was allergic to every commercial we tried. He was having to take medication @ $200 per month in addition. So, he gets 1/3 protein source (meat is getting expensive), 1/3 brown rice, and 1/3 vegetables. He is doing well on "real food"- we were doing Farmer's Dog before I saw the ads.

I found a recipe that says the protein source meat can be substituted with 18 hard boiled eggs. I wonder if anyone knows how this compares to beef or chicken meat? It would be great on my pocketbook to use older eggs instead. Is it feasible to do it regularly, or occasionally?
Sorry I don’t know the exact answer to your question. I don’t think dogs can be fed egg as the main basis of their diet as it does not have the same nutrients as meat, that being said, it could probably be rotated in regularly. It sounds like you would make the food in batches, am I correct? If it is made in batches that last 1-2 weeks then perhaps you could rotate between meat and eggs on alternate weeks to ensure the nutritional needs are met while also saving money (and allowing you some time to gather the eggs you need!).

For feeding eggs to my dog, I floated them first (they were of varying ages and I didn’t want to risk anything) any that floated at all were disposed of. They were then boiled hard for quite a while to make sure they were thoroughly cooked all the way through. I then left them to cool until completely cold and peeled them. I cut them up very small and then mashed with a fork or potato masher and because they were cooked until dry they formed a sort of crumb mixture. I learnt something new in this process as well, when eggs are hard boiled and then left to go cold in their shells they develop a green layer on the outside of the yolk, it’s perfectly safe but looks rather alarming.

I hope you eventually find something your dog can eat happily (and that is not too expensive!).:)

Yes, the recipe makes a big batch that lasts a 150 pound dog about a week. With stew meat now $20 a package, it gets expensive quickly.
I think you're correct that doing the eggs once a month while making sure they're good eggs and properly cooked is what I am looking for. I did read that although not as nutritionally sound, they're easier on the digestive system and the calcium would be good for his bones.

Personally, I would add some in every batch. You could cut down on some of the meat, which would save you money.

That's what I have started doing. I scramble several to add to the batch. It makes it last longer. His food looks a lot like fried rice now. He loves it!

Back
Top Bottom