Felicia pig is expecting...

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
This girl got sneaky on us and jumped the gun, I was planning next Spring! Started to notice her belly changing shapes and started thinking on the last time she had a cycle... I think she's at least a month out, but I can see/feel her belly moving. Been keeping her with me to watch her, getting to know her normal really well, to know when she's off.

She's been a very good girl, at a year old. Thinking husband didn't follow protocol when I was at work. She seems to be doing very well though, so hopefully that continues. Switched her from Mazuri pellets to Sharps mini pig feed, and increased her veggie/fruit diversity.

Our goal was/is to become listed with the AMPA breeder directory, which has a lot of rules, due to the nature of small pig breeding and scams on sizes. This litter won't qualify because she's too young by a couple of months, with their size it is important to wait until at least 15 months. When I measured her this morning for wormer dosage, she stands at 13.5 inches tall and 37 pounds. Never believe an adult will be that small! It's just not true, they continue growing past 3 years old, but are fairly close to full size by that time. I couldn't imagine the level of surprise if I was promised Felicia and got Priscilla, our 3 year old Juliana. Felicia is 75% Juliana but at the same age Priscilla was a bit bigger than her.

Way too much misinformation out there about mini pigs. Not many stay at 50 pounds, let alone smaller than that. They'd be a million dollars if they did! You can certainly find them under 100 pounds though, so long as you're careful. It takes many generations to set traits when breeding, 5 generations for a lot of species. Basically, any potbelly or bigger size needs bred out, and it takes a while.

Our male, Timmy, is a tiny pig. None of his growth spurts have scared me. LOL He's also a saint, never has tantrums, knows the rules and happily goes along with them. As an intact male, he's a super cool little guy. He's happy with his little herd... Felicia gets to spend time with him and Priscilla since the deed is already done. He can't reach Priscilla yet. She's 17 inches tall at 3 yrs, 70-75 pounds. He's 12.5 inches tall and 32 pounds.

It's the height that matters the most, they're going to get as tall as they're genetically able to get, and as wide as you let them get through their diet, with some shape differences based on breed.

A mini pig is anything maturing under 300 pounds. Lot's of crossbred little pigs out there being bred too young... for the illusion of super small size. Always age check the parents if you're looking for a small one, at one year old you should expect that body mass to at least double! They get longer and wider/thicker, a very short pig can be hiding a lot of pounds.

The last several years with pigs has been SO fun. Not very dog like, way smarter.

Piglets should also stay with mom a full 8 weeks, for developmental reasons and their health, unless some reason prevents them from staying with her, since not all moms are cut out for motherhood.

Almost done with their new area, individual stalls with paddocks and a 1/4 acre communal pasture.

Pictures...!

Felicia's first belly shot... I'm going to update every week so that I can watch her progress too!

felicia.jpg

Made her a spot to lay near me since I've been keeping her within sight and just supervised trips outside.
20170730_155617.jpg

Priscilla at 4 weeks
10671279_817743821591225_2244301948464399269_n.jpg

Priscilla now at 3 years...
20170507_140805~2.jpg

Timmy getting a bath like a champ.
20170321_121018 (2).jpg

Pacing on the porch while I try to talk them down the steps. Priscilla uses the concrete side as a ramp, but they're not sure about that yet.
20170507_140603~2.jpg

Timmy in the 4ft pool a couple of weeks ago, didn't take him long to figure that out!
20170719_133702~2.jpg

Felicia at 9 weeks and Timmy at 5 weeks.
IMG_2191 (1).JPG

Priscilla at 7 months, with Splashes a Marans.
priscilla8months.jpg

I don't take pictures often... will need to for Felicia's belly!

Attachments

• IMG_2191 (1).JPG
    IMG_2191 (1).JPG
    617.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20170507_140603~2.jpg
    20170507_140603~2.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 2
My husband wants to "upgrade" to Berkshire when we have more space, since we haven't given up bacon and the store type is like... well.. store bought chicken and turkey. I'm not convinced I could do it!

He can't reach Priscilla yet. She's 17 inches tall at 3 yrs, 70-75 pounds. He's 12.5 inches tall and 32 pounds.

I'd be careful thinking that. He can easily breed her.
We had two females between 2 and 3 years old when we got our first intact male.
He came home at 8 weeks old. Tiny little guy and scared of everything. He was still a baby so we put him with the two girls hoping he would feel safe with them. It worked they took to mothering him and he took to them. A little too much. I thought he was too young and too small to do any damage. He was trying but was so small compared to them we didn't think he "could reach" he couldn't even reach when they laid down.
Within a few weeks he really took to our older bigger one and spent so much time attached to her hind quarters and was so small I ended up naming him Wart. He was like a wart on Barbie Qs backside.
Like you fast forward a while and we noticed a change. Both females ended having babies one day apart. When we did the math it was discovered they were bred within two weeks of him being here. That put him as being successful just shy of 10 weeks old. At the time he was about 8" tall and maybe 12 to 15 lbs.

My husband wants to "upgrade" to Berkshire when we have more space, since we haven't given up bacon and the store type is like... well.. store bought chicken and turkey. I'm not convinced I could do it!
The best bacon in my opinion from experience anyway, we cross Gloucestershire with Berkshire as well. Old Spot (gos) has more underbelly and when X-ed with Berk, it gets that color/marble/flavor that wakes you up on a Saturday morning. Berkshire sausage is to die for. We processed an entire bar for sausage when he wouldn't sell. Everybody made offers on him low balled compared to the feed cost we had invested in him.
We brought him to our processor instead of giving him away! Our freezer is packed with berk sausage! There is almost zero fat to drain when we cook it. When we entertain guests with the bbq, our friends eyes pop out tasting the meat.
Everyone sells boars around us, (we castrate all males) meaning the local market is flooded with pigs for sale. Mostly trash feed pigs by beginners trying to make a buck. Some ads I see are selling 4 month old hogs for $20. So when I get calls they naturally assume My prices will be dirt cheap out of desperation to sell. I feed top quality diet so I don't sell cheap. When they want my Berkshire pigs and offer low $$, I tell them I have 6 freezers and I will process before I give you a pig for $25 bucks that ate $300 in feed.
The local auction here is sad. I saw 180# gilts sell at 50 bucks or less. We use to constant breed until lately. Now we pace ourselves. Until the niche is over.
I use to get $150 for a 5 w/o berk. Now a days the freezer is the best option. We have been breeding chickens instead to off set the cost of feed for my adult pigs.
I:lovebeing a pig farmer but:barniegiving them away for nuttin.
Great thread! Refreshing to rant about something other that yard birds for a change!
P.s. our Broad Breasted Bronze Turkeys blow away butterball store bought birds!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom