Female goose limping!

eggswithlegs11

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Yesterday morning I noticed my female pilgrim goose of about 4-5 months was limping slightly on her left leg when she got out of the hutch in the morning. Over the day she was sitting down more, I couldn’t find any cuts or anything wrapped around the foot and I thought it might get better overnight. Now she is sitting down in the morning, what should I do?

Can you check the bottom of the foot for bumblefoot?Do you feel any hot spots on her leg?I would soak her legs in lukewarm Epsom salt water for 15-20 min and If she doesn't improve after that a little bit of baby aspirin will help.What are you feeding her?

I've checked her foot a few times and I can't see any signs of abrasions or wounds. Also, her third digit (pinky equivalent) seems slightly hotter near the claw but it's pretty close to the rest of the foot. She doesn't seem to mind me touching her foot too much, like it doesn't cause her pain when I'm just touching it. She usually eats a goose mix, which I've currently run out of and will be arriving soon (she's eating a mixture of wheat, grains and grass right now). Would she be missing the nutrients for the goose mix?

Are you saying her whole diet is wheat, grains and grass or is that what your feeding her on occasions. I feed by geese wheat and oats but only a little bit every day.Whats the goose mix made of?

Could be a sprain too. Rest and Poultry vitamins for support can help. Liquid B complex is a good one can be found at TSC in the cattle dept it will say injectable but can be given orally 1ml daily while recuperating.

How is your goose today?
Mine has had a time or two of unexplained limping, but it hasn't lasted more than a day to two days. Have you tried giving her bathing water -- enough so she can float at least partially and rest her leg? Hope you figure it out!

Sorry for the late replies all! I took the goose to the vet who ruled out bumblefoot and couldn't find any fractures in the foot. She gave me a weeks worth of anti-inflammatory tablets to give her. The vet said it could just be a sprain. She seems to have lost her appetite (she eats occasionally but not nearly as much as before, she still drinks occasionally too) and isn't going to the toilet as often. She's sitting down a lot still, and doesn't walk normally at all, sometimes even limping on her other foot. The vet said she was almost underweight (she was 4.3kg, the vet said this was okay, but she shouldn't lose any weight). She looks slimmer to me. I'm worried it might be an internal issue, but I guess I'll just run the course of the medication and see how she is. I looked up some geese illnesses but the symptoms she shows for things are usually for younger geese around 12 weeks or less. She always has a pool available which she is enjoying using still, just difficult to get out with her leg. Hope she gets better soon :(

Have you tried making her food soupy with warm water ? And helping her in an out of the pool she maybe over taxing the other leg since one might be sprained. Are you giving any b complex?

Back
Top Bottom