Fencing options

Beaker99

hillbilly extraordinaire
Mar 31, 2022
Missouri Ozarks
I'm debating on what kind of fencing to use.
I rent (no permanent structure) in a small town and the yard is fenced on three sides. I need to set up something on the exposed side or contain them around the coop.
Chickens will be free range through the yard.
I'm concerned about the occasional loose dog in the neighborhood.
Should I use the snow fence or make the investment for electric? My husband thinks a large dog will hop 4' electric netting with ease.

Thoughts?

I'm debating on what kind of fencing to use.
I rent (no permanent structure) in a small town and the yard is fenced on three sides. I need to set up something on the exposed side or contain them around the coop.
Chickens will be free range through the yard.
I'm concerned about the occasional loose dog in the neighborhood.
Should I use the snow fence or make the investment for electric? My husband thinks a large dog will hop 4' electric netting with ease.

Thoughts?
I would invest in the poultry netting and a very punchy charger.
I run 10,000 volts/1.2 joules through three 164' jumpered Kencove nets. It keeps out all manner of ground predators.
Predators will generally approach the fence and investigate by sniffing it. THAT'S what stops them. One good hit to the wet nose will get the point across that the chickens are dangerous creatures not to messed with. My own dogs have each received self correction on the fence and don't even look their way and longer.

E-net will deter most predators, but it won't keep the chickens in....they can fly over 4' easily.

They *can* -- at least the lighter ones can. But my experience with my fence is that most of them *don't*. :)

My California White flies like a helicopter and goes in and out at will. I don't worry about her because she's the only bird in the flock bright enough to fly back in instead of pacing around the outside crying about being away from the flock. If I had a flock of all California Whites I'd have to think about taller fencing for sure.

The worst offenders in re: escapes are the Point-of-Lay pullets -- still light enough to fly well and driven by instincts they don't understand to seek out a good place to lay eggs. I carry a pair of trauma shears in the pocket of my chicken-tending clothes and clip a wing on every chicken I catch outside the fence.

Cull cockerels are also powerfully-motivated to get over the fence and back to the flock after they've been separated.

But the vast majority of the flock stays inside without any issues.

I would invest in the poultry netting and a very punchy charger.
I run 10,000 volts/1.2 joules through three 164' jumpered Kencove nets. It keeps out all manner of ground predators.
Predators will generally approach the fence and investigate by sniffing it. THAT'S what stops them. One good hit to the wet nose will get the point across that the chickens are dangerous creatures not to messed with. My own dogs have each received self correction on the fence and don't even look their way and longer.
question - if the chickens hit that - does it give them a dangerous blow since they are so small and fragile?

They *can* -- at least the lighter ones can. But my experience with my fence is that most of them *don't*. :)

My California White flies like a helicopter and goes in and out at will. I don't worry about her because she's the only bird in the flock bright enough to fly back in instead of pacing around the outside crying about being away from the flock. If I had a flock of all California Whites I'd have to think about taller fencing for sure.

The worst offenders in re: escapes are the Point-of-Lay pullets -- still light enough to fly well and driven by instincts they don't understand to seek out a good place to lay eggs. I carry a pair of trauma shears in the pocket of my chicken-tending clothes and clip a wing on every chicken I catch outside the fence.

Cull cockerels are also powerfully-motivated to get over the fence and back to the flock after they've been separated.

But the vast majority of the flock stays inside without any issues.
Didn't know that about CA Whites before I bought a few last year. Constantly escaping and laying large clutches in the garage, carport, etc. They go right up the side of the fence like a helo, as you said. Even after we clipped!!

Didn't know that about CA Whites before I bought a few last year. Constantly escaping and laying large clutches in the garage, carport, etc. They go right up the side of the fence like a helo, as you said. Even after we clipped!!

:D

Mine always lays in the boxes, but when she has the mind to she leaves the pen for greener forage in the lawn.

I have multiple kinds of fencing. Electrified poultry netting can keep poor flying chickens such as American Dominiques contained very well. The airworthier game chickens can fly over routinely as can the cross bred birds. Most of my dogs respect the fencing, but some have been trained to jump it and they can do it easily even when 48" tall. The current approach I like best involves 20-foot-long sheep/goat panels that are 5' tall. Yes, even the dominiques can beat it, and even my dogs can climb it, but dogs not familiar with it are stopped. It can be made to look relatively nice and is easy to keep with a gate. Clipping one or both wings can keep even the games from getting over the fence.

Back
Top Bottom