FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

The lacto-fermentation process is anaerobic, so does better without the presence of oxygen, but it can explode if there's no where for the gasses to escape, which happens when you stir it, lol.

Yeast needs oxygen to ferment, if I'm not mistaken.I would love someone that has actual knowledge (instead of just me guessing) about it to chime in lol.

Initial ferment needs more air- in that case, I kept it cracked. Glass will explode if the lid is tightened. Mine is in a cooler with the lid closed. Pretty sure it's not airtight. ;) :D

Do you think I got enough buckets? Hahaha!

I'm probably going to turn some of them into the PVC feeders I've seen on here and maybe a meal worm colony or two. Best part about it was they were free.

Last edited:
The lacto-fermentation process is anaerobic, so does better without the presence of oxygen, but it can explode if there's no where for the gasses to escape, which happens when you stir it, lol.

Yeast needs oxygen to ferment, if I'm not mistaken.I would love someone that has actual knowledge (instead of just me guessing) about it to chime in lol.

If you read back through this thread you'll find lots of links to lots of great information about traditional methods for fermenting grains containing thousands of years of "expert" information. I even posted a link to a fairly recent study that measured the nutritional boosts of one traditional method for fermenting grains, and that study compared batches that used starters to batches that didn't use starters ... in a laboratory setting.

I have a question folks--I started fermenting chick starter 2 mos ago--it's nice, bubbly smells right etc. I pit about 6 cups fresh feed in the container every day--I notice it gets more active working on the new stuff--my question is--will some of the new feed then not be fermented. How does that work? Also, bc I only have chicks right now I am using a 2 gallon glass jar but am making a huge drippy mess on my floors when carring feed in sifter from bathroom out to coop. I could move feed out in a large patio bin I keep in run for feed, supplies but we still are in the 30s at night--is that too cold? You wouldn't believe how hard the drips are to mop up!

I have a question folks--I started fermenting chick starter 2 mos ago--it's nice, bubbly smells right etc. I pit about 6 cups fresh feed in the container every day--I notice it gets more active working on the new stuff--my question is--will some of the new feed then not be fermented. How does that work? Also, bc I only have chicks right now I am using a 2 gallon glass jar but am making a huge drippy mess on my floors when carring feed in sifter from bathroom out to coop. I could move feed out in a large patio bin I keep in run for feed, supplies but we still are in the 30s at night--is that too cold? You wouldn't believe how hard the drips are to mop up!

I think there are two convenient solutions.

The first is to mix the FF a little drier so it isn't "drippy." This saves a step of having to drain it.

The second is to dump the sifter into a container that doesn't drip while you're transporting it ... a small bucket or bowl.

The studies I've read about the benefits of fermenting grains indicate that there are measurable nutritional boosts after the first 24 hours of ferment time, and those boosts increase for three days (that's as long as the study I've read lasted). So ... fermenting feed for 24 hours is good, fermenting it for 48 hours is "better", and fermenting it for 96 hours is "even better."

Note, that study stopped at 3 days ferment, and I do not yet know the "optimal" ferment time ... or even if there is such a thing ... just that there were measurable increases in the benefits of fermenting the grains at each of the 24 hour markers.

I have a question folks--I started fermenting chick starter 2 mos ago--it's nice, bubbly smells right etc.  I pit about 6 cups fresh feed in the container every day--I notice it gets more active working on the new stuff--my question is--will some of the new feed then not be fermented.  How does that work?  Also, bc I only have chicks right now I am using a 2 gallon glass jar but am making a huge drippy mess on my floors when carring feed in sifter from bathroom out to coop.  I could move feed out in a large patio bin I keep in run for feed, supplies but we still are in the 30s at night--is that too cold?  You wouldn't believe how hard the drips are to mop up!

Whatever feed you add to the old fermented stuff will be inoculated by the ferment you already have going. It's always good to keep some ff in the bucket and add to it, gives the new feed a good start by already being inoculated.

I think there are two convenient solutions.

The first is to mix the FF a little drier so it isn't "drippy." This saves a step of having to drain it.

The second is to dump the sifter into a container that doesn't drip while you're transporting it ... a small bucket or bowl.

The studies I've read about the benefits of fermenting grains indicate that there are measurable nutritional boosts after the first 24 hours of ferment time, and those boosts increase for three days (that's as long as the study I've read lasted). So ... fermenting feed for 24 hours is good, fermenting it for 48 hours is "better", and fermenting it for 96 hours is "even better."

Note, that study stopped at 3 days ferment, and I do not yet know the "optimal" ferment time ... or even if there is such a thing ... just that there were measurable increases in the benefits of fermenting the grains at each of the 24 hour markers.

Getting ready to start my first batch in a day or two. Babies coming in 8 days. Yea!!! I've been researching all this for 6 mo and it's so exciting to finally get some feed back on my own.
celebrate.gif

If you read back through this thread you'll find lots of links to lots of great information about traditional methods for fermenting grains containing thousands of years of "expert" information. I even posted a link to a fairly recent study that measured the nutritional boosts of one traditional method for fermenting grains, and that study compared batches that used starters to batches that didn't use starters ... in a laboratory setting. 

I started reading through the thread, but didn't get through all 287 pages of it. I've read many of the things I've found online, that's where I got the information about lacto-fermentation vs. yeast fermentation.
Do you happen to have those links? Maybe we need a sticky with all of this information in it for new people who want to learn about it but don't want to ask in the forum or sift through this thread to find it. That way you wouldn't have to post the links every dozen pages or so either.

Last edited:
I started reading through the thread, but didn't get through all 287 pages of it. I've read many of the things I've found online, that's where I got the information about lacto-fermentation vs. yeast fermentation.
Do you happen to have those links? Maybe we need a sticky with all of this information in it for new people who want to learn about it but don't want to ask in the forum or sift through this thread to find it. That way you wouldn't have to post the links every dozen pages or so either.

That sounds like a great project. I say go for it!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom