Fermented Feeds

Silly question, how do you keep the FF warm enough for the chicks to be interested? I think the reason they weren't interested is because it's cold, because the house is cold, unless we happen to be running the wood stove. Could I put it in the toaster oven, just long enough to take the chill out?

Last edited:
Silly question, how do you keep the FF warm enough for the chicks to be interested? I think the reason they weren't interested is because it's cold, because the house is cold, unless we happen to be running the wood stove. Could I put it in the toaster oven, just long enough to take the chill out?

Once it gets going really well, the FF will actually be warm. Just stir it around and take some from the bottom of the bucket and it should be nice and warm. I guess I just give it to them and when the bowl is empty I give them some more. Make sure it's not too soupy. Mine is almost like sick oatmeal, not that wet at all.

Thank you all so much for the excellent information on fermenting feed! I'm mostly a BYC lurker because every time I think of a question I need answered I simply wade through the posts until it's answered.
I do have a quick question though - anyone have experience with the lids popping off their fermenting buckets? I'm trying to figure out if I need to drill a few holes in my five gallon bucket that I'll be using to ferment the feed. I'm expecting there will be some build up of gasses as the fermentation process gets underway. What do you think?

Thank you all so much for the excellent information on fermenting feed! I'm mostly a BYC lurker because every time I think of a question I need answered I simply wade through the posts until it's answered.
I do have a quick question though - anyone have experience with the lids popping off their fermenting buckets? I'm trying to figure out if I need to drill a few holes in my five gallon bucket that I'll be using to ferment the feed. I'm expecting there will be some build up of gasses as the fermentation process gets underway. What do you think?
The ferment gets populated by the bacteria and yeasts in the air. So, if you cover it, you are slowing the ferment process.

I have been feeding mine fermented chick feed. They have taken to it just fine. I ferment it in a bowl on the counter and have a slab of wood that I spread it out on.

Question... are there things you can add to the feed ? Like Nutri drench or kibble for chicks? I know you can hurt animal with even too much of a good thing! Would it be better to just add these items at time of dispensing to the flock if you wanted to mix it in?

Back
Top Bottom