Fermented Feeds

Molpet thanks for that link. I can't say enough positive things about FF and I keep trying to learn as much as I can. My feed costs are down, my birds love it. My yolks are noticeably denser and heavier (not scientific, I just pay attention and cook with them quite a bit). the poop stink is def lessened as well. I use 3 large mason jars for mine. I stir 2/3 times per day. I strain my feed and use the "juice" to make the next batch. The straining keeps it from freezing outside (since for march it's been kinda cold 6F this morning with real feel of -16). If some does freeze I just bring it back in and warm the tray up next to the woodstove.

Molpet thanks for that link. I can't say enough positive things about FF and I keep trying to learn as much as I can. My feed costs are down, my birds love it. My yolks are noticeably denser and heavier (not scientific, I just pay attention and cook with them quite a bit). the poop stink is def lessened as well. I use 3 large mason jars for mine. I stir 2/3 times per day. I strain my feed and use the "juice" to make the next batch. The straining keeps it from freezing outside (since for march it's been kinda cold 6F this morning with real feel of -16). If some does freeze I just bring it back in and warm the tray up next to the woodstove.

I agree. It's amazing and so glad I came across the idea when researching chickens. As an avid Kombucha and Kefir brewer it was definitely up my alley. I do the backslop method which I find is easier for me to just keep the process going without straining and changing buckets. I just add in more feed and water each day, swirl it around and that's it. I had been buying eggs from my neighbor for a couple years so when they decided to move they offered me the chickens. The yolks had been pale yellow and shells definitely not as thick and hard as they are now. So I started the ferment before I got the chickens. Once the chickens were at my house we used the rest of their food to ferment. I transitioned them to organic feed. I do a few other steps to ensure their health but I can tell you that in about 2 weeks their egg yolks went from pale yellow to a beautiful orange and the shells feel like dinosaur eggs. I dropped an egg on the ground one day and it didn't even crack. It did fall in the sludge/mud under the nest box and not on the hard ground but still I was amazed. The other thing I wonder about is that I've heard people say that greens are what make the eggs orange but I live in New England and kept them in a small run for a few weeks to acclimate to their new digs. Much of the winter the ground is frozen or has snow on it. They have enjoyed rustling in the woods and eating some of the grass that survives the winter but in my opinion the deep orange has to be from another source. I'm not saying greens don't make the yolks orange but it must be other things as well as I've seen in my case. Happy Fermenting!

Last edited:
Question... are there things you can add to the feed ? Like Nutri drench or kibble for chicks? I know you can hurt animal with even too much of a good thing! Would it be better to just add these items at time of dispensing to the flock if you wanted to mix it in?
I assume you found the answers in the FAQ, which is a fantastic resource, but just in case, I'd add any extras just before feeding time.

And also .. how long do you let it ferment for?
As long as it takes, and based on temperature. I can have ferment ready to go in 12 hours, and a bucket will be as old as 3 days old before I feed it out. I make mine thick, hold back about a cup full for the next batch. No sloppy ferment here. It holds it's shape when it's scooped out. Also, I only stir when mixing the feed and water. Then, never look at it again, until I'm grabbing the bucket to head out the door at feeding time.

Quote: What a wonderful testament!

I bet I wasted 50lbs of feed when I started feeding FF because of tossing out "moldy" feed that was really just yeast. Out of fear, as bee mentioned. I didn't want to harm the birds and had just assumed that the overnight growth was a blue mold... Grey(ish) yeast looks close enough when you're starting out!
1f609.png

Like most, I eventually went with an uncovered pasty texture FF...

Different folks, different strokes.

I'm not a fan of letting oxygen come in contact with any of my lactofermenting. I never get the overly sour smelling feed ferments...just a fresh tangy scent and lots of bubbling. I use 1/2 gal mason jars with airlocks to release the pressure and keep O2 out. For anyone not having success with the backslopping I'd recommend making a fermenting container with an airlock and keeping the feed under a layer of developing brine. I know the backsloppers will probably tear into me, but my intent isn't to rain on what you guys and gals do, but rather give an alternative method for those not getting the results they want.

You will get some fermentation with it, but IMO it won't be as efficient as keeping it covered with brine and keeping the oxygen away. Look up any instructions online on lactofermenting kraut or kimchi and you'll see that the layer of brine is important. Just my $0.02 though. Happy fermenting all.

I currently use mason jars with just the flat lid (not the screw down rim) on them lightly. My FF seems fine but I'm wondering where you get those air lock lids. Sounds like a good thing.

I currently use mason jars with just the flat lid (not the screw down rim) on them lightly.  My FF seems fine but I'm wondering where you get those air lock lids.  Sounds like a good thing. 
These look the same as what I got at the brew store.

https://www.amazon.com/3ct-Piece-Ai...Q5I4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490492793&sr=8-2

These are some of mine. I keep 5 fermenting now and 2 finished ones in the fridge overnight to "settle out" so that I can drain off the excess liquid. I actually feed the liquid back to the birds in a small waterer. We call it their "juice". A half dozen of my birds seem to prefer it over their regular water...lots of good bacteria and probably some vits/minerals in it dissolved from the feed.

And a vid of me stirring one up. Lots of bubbling action.
https://instagram.com/p/BPlTzuogfUw/

Last edited:
I am just getting my first chicks ever (have horses on my farm,first time for chickens!) this weekend and live in NW Indiana and noticed you live nearby....and I'd like to use the fermented method of feeding, what brand do you recommend for my new babies? How long do they get "baby" food? My coop will have the tall/vertical pvc type feeder, can i use fermented food in this or do you think it will get stuck in the pipe? Thanks, in advance for any help/tips! Lisa

Back
Top Bottom