Fermented Feeds

I put mine in $4 plastic feed pans from the feed store.
Each pan will feed about a dozen chickens, and yes they step in it!
My Ameraucana Rooster scratches in it...LOL

Aloha,

I use a terra cotta pan, but they keep stepping in it. I also use he round kind for the babies with 6 pukas on the top.

I just bought this feeder with a bar that goes down the middle above the feed. Weʻll see how it goes. The gap for eating is kinda narrow.

Aloha, Puhi

I used the long feeder with the gap for while, but it was messy. My glass "pie" plate has 2 inch sides and they don't seem to step into it.

Should your ferment start to get warm? Mine isnt, but my experience with other fermenting, such as silage, the feed starts to get warm. Thoughts?

Should your ferment start to get warm? Mine isnt, but my experience with other fermenting, such as silage, the feed starts to get warm. Thoughts?

I really never noticed any warmth. I soaked some whole oats a couple of weeks ago for 5 days until ferment. They said keep adding water each day. By the fifth day it was bubbling like I had it on a burner. I did it in the storeroom and will never do it again. Smelliest eveh!!! Not like ferment but like soured oats. The chickens eat it though. I made a ton of it.

Mine gets warm but I live where it is very hot, 118 today. Sometimes it feels as if steam is coming off it. There are times when I store it in the fridge for a few days at a time because it just gets too over-fermented.

Mine gets warm but I live where it is very hot, 118 today. Sometimes it feels as if steam is coming off it. There are times when I store it in the fridge for a few days at a time because it just gets too over-fermented.

Wow, and I thought 99 was a big day for La. Of course the humidity adds a lot more ump to it. You definitely win the top temp award today.
lau.gif

I really never noticed any warmth. I soaked some whole oats a couple of weeks ago for 5 days until ferment. They said keep adding water each day. By the fifth day it was bubbling like I had it on a burner. I did it in the storeroom and will never do it again. Smelliest eveh!!! Not like ferment but like soured oats. The chickens eat it though. I made a ton of it.
LOL,
Was that the recipe that I gave you? If so I told you that it was soaked/soured oats.
big_smile.png

If you feed it right when it stops soaking up water it a soaked oats and shouldn't smell as bad.

Did your batch have a yeasty smell, and was it somewhat foamy on top?

LOL,
Was that the recipe that I gave you? If so I told you that it was soaked/soured oats.
big_smile.png

If you feed it right when it stops soaking up water it a soaked oats and shouldn't smell as bad.

Did your batch have a yeasty smell, and was it somewhat foamy on top?

My problem is that I misunderstood what you said. I made a batch like fermented feed and still have a ton of it left. I think I started with 25 lbs of oats and it pretty much filled the 18 gallon container up. Still feeding out. The water is going down and the smell is a little better. But what a lesson. Listen the next time.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom