Fermented Feeds

My chickens absolutely loved FF at first and now don't want it, in any stage of fermentation. They don't want dry feed either. (I was fermenting the dry feed, Purina flock raiser) I guess I spoiled them with a seed/grain treat which is a mix of scratch and birdseed,+ BOSS, and now I'm just waiting them out, to see if they get hungry enough to eat feed since I assume their seed mixture is not complete nutrition. They have a run with about 125 sq. ft. per bird so maybe they are finding enuf bugs to eat, but the grass is getting brown, so there isn't much of that. I can't believe how little feed they are eating. I have 4 birds-- 2 molting hens, and 2 pullets 5 mo old. No one is laying. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing!!

Aloha kākou,

I was writing on another thread that Iʻve seen a decrease in eggs with FF and an increase when I switch to dry.

I also see my feed lasting a little longer with FF.

I also like to add oyster shells in FF because the acid dissolves the shells, making it more available to the digestive system.

I also see less flies with FF, especially if I add DE every few months.

If any of you have switched back and forth, what have you seen?

Thanks, Puhi
To those of you who are putting enough water in your bucket to keep the feed covered, that's not at all necessary. Most of us have found that it works fine to initially mix it up to the consistency of thick cooked oatmeal. The stirring spoon should be able to stand up in it. It will rise up with bubbles just like a good yeast bread dough would. I don't even bother to stir it, except for when I'm feeding out from my bucket. One bucket will last 2 - 3 days. I then add more feed and water, and it's ready to go the next morning.

RE: egg count. How long have you been keeping them on the FF before switching? I have not noticed my egg count going down on FF. If any thing, I can attest to the fact that my birds on FF lay sooner and more often than the birds of my friends (birds of same age, from same location, being fed same food from same feed store) I would not add the oyster shell to the FF. The purpose of oyster shell is to offer the bird free choice so she can eat as much as her body tells her she needs. If you put it in the FF, she doesn't have a choice.

Last edited:
Aloha,

I did FF for about 2 years then switched. Did dry for about a year, switched back. So I have not counted eggs, I did the switches near the lull in egg production times anyway, so I donʻt know for sure. Thatʻs why Iʻm asking others.

FF is all good in theory but, drinking the Kool-Aid aside, we need to make sure itʻs really helping.

Also, I do know that I had flies when I did FF, but when I put DE in, they died. So, it is my hypothesis that DE is the reason for my fly problem diminishing greatly.

I do not always offer Oyster shell, so I know they need it.

I donʻt really put too much water either. Iʻd rather it be ready to feed when I get there.

Mahalo for your insight and ideas Lazy Gardener!

Aloha, Puhi

My chickens absolutely  loved FF at first and now don't want it, in any stage of fermentation.  They don't want dry feed either.  (I was fermenting the dry feed, Purina flock raiser)  I guess I spoiled them with a seed/grain treat which is a mix of scratch and birdseed,+ BOSS, and now I'm just waiting them out, to see if they get hungry enough to eat feed since I assume their seed mixture is not  complete nutrition. They have a run with about 125 sq. ft. per bird so maybe they are finding enuf bugs to eat, but the grass is getting brown, so there isn't much of that.   I can't believe how little feed they are eating.  I have 4 birds-- 2 molting hens, and 2 pullets 5 mo old.  No one is laying.   If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing!!
It's my understanding that a lot of Times when molting they stop laying. Has your five month olds layed their first egg yet. If not they should any day now. You can try upping the protein in their feed to help them through the moult. Also during the fall and winter they stop laying as often. Sometimes altogether. Especially if they have a couple of years on them.

It's my understanding that a lot of Times when molting they stop laying. Has your five month olds layed their first egg yet. If not they should any day now. You can try upping the protein in their feed to help them through the moult. Also during the fall and winter they stop laying as often. Sometimes altogether. Especially if they have a couple of years on them.

Thanks for replying. Yes I was expecting the hens to stop laying during molt, but I HOPE they don't take the whole winter off... The pullets haven't started laying yet, -- they must be close. My concern is how little everyone seems to be eating. I did attempt to up the protein by getting first Calf Manna, reco'd here on BYC in several forums, and then, when they turned their noses up at that, I got Show Bird Conditioner, which they also won't eat. Both are pelleted, both made by Manna Pro, they may be very similar. I am looking at my feed closely, it seems to be fine, and not moldy. I don't think the chickens are ill, they act normally, bop around the run like they always have. I am reluctant to keep offering new and better things to eat. All the advice here on BYC is that they will eat their regular feed when they are hungry.
My daughter said her chickens weren't eating well. until she removed an underground hornet nest, and then the hens began eating their feed again. In retrospect she realized they were filling up on hornets. Maybe mine have some such source that I am not aware of.

Last edited:
So I'm just asking for opinions as I am a newbie to chickens. I am a fermenter so I plan on fermenting the feed. I have been obsessing about chicken food and want to use organic. I noticed the New Country Organics seems to have the most real food. It actually lists the complete ingredients but with $20 shipping that makes a 50 lb bag $50. We will be starting off with 8-10 RI Reds. I have no idea how long this will last me but I'm pretty sure the NCO feed is going to become cost prohibitive if it doesn't last too long. I see the organic breeds listed at Tractor Supple for about $25 for 40 lbs and I can just pick it up. The trouble is, when I read the ingredients both brands are very vague just listing "grains". And of course all the other stuff that I have no idea what it is other than it doesn't look like whole food. So I'm torn as to what to feed these girls. My heart wants to ferment the NCO feed and my head (wallet) says use one of the lower quality organic foods from Tractor Supply. Also any opinions on pellets verses the feed would be great. Does anyone have any opinions to offer? I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
So I'm just asking for opinions as I am a newbie to chickens. I am a fermenter so I plan on fermenting the feed. I have been obsessing about chicken food and want to use organic. I noticed the New Country Organics seems to have the most real food. It actually lists the complete ingredients but with $20 shipping that makes a 50 lb bag $50. We will be starting off with 8-10 RI Reds. I have no idea how long this will last me but I'm pretty sure the NCO feed is going to become cost prohibitive if it doesn't last too long. I see the organic breeds listed at Tractor Supple for about $25 for 40 lbs and I can just pick it up. The trouble is, when I read the ingredients both brands are very vague just listing "grains". And of course all the other stuff that I have no idea what it is other than it doesn't look like whole food. So I'm torn as to what to feed these girls. My heart wants to ferment the NCO feed and my head (wallet) says use one of the lower quality organic foods from Tractor Supply. Also any opinions on pellets verses the feed would be great. Does anyone have any opinions to offer? I would appreciate it.
I didn't like the crumbles at all , pellets were better...... I found a mill an 1 1/2 hr away that sold organic milled grain that was cheaper and looked like real food. I do not know where you live, but look for grain mills or Amish to get good feed that hasn't been processed to death.

I would definitely research your area for different brands that meet your specific requirements. Google is great for that :) I like the feed that looks like real grains, some brands I have tried our scratch and peck and H and H. But they are expensive. There is one that I think is called countryside naturals that is over on your side of the world. I think it is in Virginia. So it might not be as expensive to ship.
I have fermented pellets, crumbles, and whole-grain feeds. I like the whole grains best because they kind of end up like dryer oatmeal with the amount of water I use. The pellets and crumbles kind of just turn into sticky goo. But I think you just have to try different things, different types of food, different amounts of water etc. until you find what you like. And what the chickens like. It may take them a while to decide they like anything especially if you change it up on them.

I would definitely research your area for different brands that meet your specific requirements. Google is great for that :) I like the feed that looks like real grains, some brands I have tried our scratch and peck and H and H. But they are expensive. There is one that I think is called countryside naturals that is over on your side of the world. I think it is in Virginia. So it might not be as expensive to ship.
I have fermented pellets, crumbles, and whole-grain feeds. I like the whole grains best because they kind of end up like dryer oatmeal with the amount of water I use. The pellets and crumbles kind of just turn into sticky goo. But I think you just have to try different things, different types of food, different amounts of water etc. until you find what you like. And what the chickens like. It may take them a while to decide they like anything especially if you change it up on them.

I was planning on starting off with the New Country Organics. And it is in VA but the shipping is $20 for me bringing it to around $50 for 50 lbs. Does that sound crazy? And could I swap off with one of the Tractor Supply organic brands or perhaps mix them? I have been searching the internet like crazy. I like this forum though because you can actually get feedback. Anyway thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom