Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

You sound like my parents! They've adopted four kids already, and are fostering with the intent to adopt two more. They are all Hispanic, while my parents are as white as the sandy beaches of Bora Bora. My eldest daughter is half Hispanic, my middle daughter is a quarter Hispanic and a quarter Sicilian, so both are dark skinned. You should see the looks we get going out in public with four white adults and eight Hispanic kids! Oh, the confusion there is so comical... We always joke about having our own football team.

You know, my thing was never getting the whippings. It was having to go choose the device of my destruction. Thick switch, thin switch, wooden spatula, small handled cutting board, ruler... That was the worst part. Knowing I was in control of my punishment, but it would leave me thinking no matter what! Heck, the ol' timers could smack you with a toothpick and it'd hurt.

But oh, staying out after dark. We would be outside playing from pre-sunrise to far after sunset all summer long. The good ol' days. I would love to be a kid again.

I've always wanted to foster or adopt kids. Seems like there just aren't enough good parents to go around for all the kids out there. Bless you all for loving those kids! What a wonderful way to live your life! I always felt I had more love to give when my kids grew up and left the nest.

The only time we got to choose the instrument of punishment was with the switches....we only got whippings from belts or switches, so all those other things would have been a nice relief. And, yes, they could make anything hurt! Back then, if you deserved a whipping, you were going to get one and it would hurt bad enough that you couldn't stop snubbin' for hours.

As a added punishment, if school was in, I had to wear shorts so that the other kids could see the welts on my legs and I would be embarrassed by it. Couldn't get by with that today, but it was very effective then.

Last edited:
As a added punishment, if school was in, I had to wear shorts so that the other kids could see the welts on my legs and I would be embarrassed by it. Couldn't get by with that today, but it was very effective then.

Here in Arizona, if you haven't heard, Child Protective Services was so screwed up that it was finally disbanded, rebranded and refunded. Supposedly, this new one will be better. But they push against things that are completely legal here, like physical discipline. Not only is it completely legal, but a great many Officers firmly recommended it to parents when they are called out for disorderly children. When our first investigation was "closed," despite never being questioned or interviewed, the post-investigative agreement listed said we had agreed to no physical discipline. There was no agreement or discussion about it. We later found out, through the second investigation for the same exact thing, that the complaint was from a teacher because our girls are "too skinny." So now it appears to be "child neglect" to have active, fit and healthy kids, who don't sit in front of the electronics all day. Our pediatrician had a letter typed out within an hour of me calling, indicating the girls had been seen in her office for several years and there were no signs of abuse or neglect. It's still dragging on for the last two months, though. They are supposedly having the final administrative meeting tomorrow to officially close it. But I mean, come on people, when the pediatrician says the kids are doing excellent and are in great health, how can you argue for them being too skinny? I hate to pull the conspiracy theory crap, but can Big Pharma be that deep in to everyone's pockets trying to get the next generation of medical dependents? Working in law enforcement, I know of dozens of kids who CPS won't investigate for that truly need it, but they harass me. It's an embarrassing system.

Sorry, end of rant.

I was a fostered child for a while. My foster parents were loving but strict. I feel like they saved me from having a very bad life. When I left there at ten years old they KNEW not to expected to see me again. It would be illegal for them to try to contact me.

But, five months later, I contacted them with permission from my mother. I am still in contact with my foster mom to this day. I call her Mom, phone regularly, and visit her when in the area.

Three of my sisters have tried fostering children. It's heart rending. You go into it knowing you can't keep them, but that doesn't make it any easier when the kid has to leave.

I just foster "temporarily" by adopting children of neighbors or friends or church. If there is a need ... Kind of an extra grand parent. Just passing it on.

Generally when chickens are hatched out in the spring, they'll molt over and over until they reach "adulthood" which is when they can reproduce but probably shouldn't, being very young and all, and they'll lay through the winter all the way until next fall. They'll molt right before their second winter. So, generally, depending on hatch date, they'll molt at approximately 18 months of age.

I had never hatched in December before and last year I tried an early hatch with my bantams. They hatched December 2012. They reached their ages of maturity and were laying like clockwork and then they all stopped. It was the oddest thing. I figured that they had lived through one winter (even though they were tiny) and for their second winter they needed new feathers. Crazy!
Wow that IS weird. Lots of folks on the MS. Facebook page that's when they do their hatching because they said it was better in the winter less heat and all since its sooooo humid here. I just put some in the incubator tonight. So excited! :)

Nope, doesn't burns at all and heals quite nicely. I've used it a few times tending myself. It's great in a SHTF bag!!!

Right after it came out, I compared ingredients between New-Skin and regular superglue. They were identical. The difference was New-Skin was made in a sterile plant. I just use superglue...
I'll have to get me some of it to have on hand for them because you never know. Thanx!

It was pretty gross. LOL I remember it being kinda undigested and green. I think that calf was waiting on me to walk by! hahaha The worst, I don't know but I guess a tie between pig and veal calf poop. Both blaaaah... upchuck! I have been a poop expert in my day. hahahahaha
lol
sickbyc.gif

My first "real" kiss was when I was 12, he was 16, and it was the best kiss I've ever had...and I haven't had one since to top it. It was at the county fair and there were fireworks going on. I got a whipping with a belt for being out in the dark with a boy...but it was worth it.
WHOA Bee, that musta been one more kiss!
wink.png

We used to play something called pick up sticks and I just loved that game. No TV here either growing up.

I was a fostered child for a while.  My foster parents were loving but strict.  I feel like they saved me from having a very bad life.  When I left there at ten years old they KNEW not to  expected to see me again.  It would be illegal for them to try to contact me.  

But, five months later, I contacted them with permission from my mother.  I am still in contact with my foster mom to this day.  I call her Mom, phone regularly, and visit her when in the area. 

Three of my sisters have tried fostering children.  It's heart rending.  You go into it knowing you can't keep them, but that doesn't make it any easier when the kid has to leave.

I just foster "temporarily" by adopting children of neighbors or friends or church.  If there is a need ... Kind of an extra grand parent.  Just passing it on.

Cool that you were able to contact them again and you keep in touch now. :) I think being a foster parent would rip my heart out and probably get me in trouble. God bless those who do and the kids they help!

Quote: I was thirteen..... He didnt know how old I really was but he should have. He was in the navy. Probably about eighteen. Back then I was part of a group of Tweenagers that were under the wing of a Barn manager. Helen was a navy wife and had had horses and boarding stables all over the world.... she taught us all how to ride and care for our horses.... She took us all to the County fair. OMG what a blast that was. When we did the Guess your age, weight booth. The gal guessed that i was about seventeen....

San Diego is a huge navy town.... or was.... Helens daughter and son in law brought back from the fair about three Young men that were in the navy, They were always taking one or two under their wing many were away from home for the very first time.

After the Fair we came home to have a camp out at the barn. Several of us girls were bedded down in sleeping bags on the hay stack.... The boys were bedded down another place.... each group was under watchful guard by an adult... Or so they thought... LOL. I was all zipped up tight in my sleeping bag and woke up.... He kissed me.... ewww it was gross. I told him so too.

I didnt get my first Real kiss the kind you kiss back till I was eighteen. He broke my heart hasn't been the same since.

deb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom