Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I'm glad you reported on all this, as some on the sister site were asking about such things and others were castigating them for even asking. It's good to know that rabbits do well on this type of ration.

I'm glad you reported on all this, as some on the sister site were asking about such things and others were castigating them for even asking. It's good to know that rabbits do well on this type of ration.

That is why it was an accidental thing. Everywhere all the rabbit people decided it would kill rabbits to have fermented grains / feed b/c of their "unique digestive systems" Well I had to put Rudy in w/ the rabbits when Shakespear finally figured out he was a male chicken and tried to kill him, he can't defend himself so I put him in w/ the rabbits, well I would feed Rudy his ferment at the same time I gave the buns their food, it didn't take long for one or two of them to decide Rudy was getting better food, then they descended on him and his ferment enmass and no one died or got sick, so I just kept it going.

Weighing the leftover food? You're being way too anal about it! Never fear, they will always eat as much as they need and if they think treat type food is coming they will wait for it instead of eating their ff. Try laying off the treats for a couple of days and you will see how they finish off the ff. Hang in there! You know what's best for them. : )
Hey Beverly, good to see you. You are correct. The rascals will wait for the treats. I don't give treats but maybe once or twice a week. I little clover or Boss. If I have a big bowl of leftovers, meat and veggies i add it to the bowl and add enough ff to make up the difference. They still get the ff but also get the extras.

Wait for treats, as in not eat the food you give them now for some potential possible future food????
lau.gif
lau.gif
You've got to be kidding????? No way, no how that my chickens would leave food in hopes of something else at some future time!!!!!

Did I do FF "wrong"?

My first attempt, with Apple Cider Vinegar starter and layer pellets, has "worked" for 3 days now. When it's in the bucket (BeeKissed method), it smells great - like ACV. When I lift it out and let it drain, it smells truly horrid - exactly like vomit, really. I had to beat the dog off with a stick :)

I have visited most of the referenced pages/sites on this, most recently http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/
All say it will be "fragrant" - I guess I would describe this more as putrid! Maybe it's an every nose is different kind of thing....

Also, this is way wetter than I had envisioned.

Watcha think, is it salvage-able? Just need a little longer? Need more layer pellets mixed in to dry it out? Move to a different container to "finish" and dry out a bit?

I love this idea, but so far - yucko man! All thoughts are welcome...
Beekissed used the wet method for about a year and then she switched to one bucket and the consistancy of mortar. In the summer she puts it in a big cooler and makes it and it lasts for weeks in the coop. She stirs it daily and it stays fine. I fashioned my mix on hers. I was lucky I found this thread on my first day on the forum. I think I read the first 500 pages and then Bee was off for a while doing other things. So I skipped to page 1000 and started there and have kept up since. This is one of my favorite threads. Bee has always been my mentor and a great friend.

This is so easy peasy. Just add more pellets or crimped oats and it will dry out. I have the healthiest birds in my town. And absolutely no smell. Why would I EVER do anything different.
celebrate.gif

Wait for treats, as in not eat the food you give them now for some potential possible future food????
lau.gif
lau.gif
You've got to be kidding????? No way, no how that my chickens would leave food in hopes of something else at some future time!!!!!

X10 Simple fact...if they are leaving food, you are feeding too much. Period. Cut it back until that trough is licked clean and there won't be even a speck of powder to measure.

Thank you LindaB220 and maryhysong for your help!

Quote:
I ended up removing the extra fluid after a short settling period, then added more pellets to improve the consistency. The smell improved rapidly with this and with stirring - I had missed this detail prior to today :)

I offered some to all birds, and they all ate immediately - looks like it's a winner! Will keep it going for a while, see how it works for me.

Thanks again!

i have some whole wheat berries that refused to sprout for me. Can I mix them in with my FF and feed them out, or would the berries need to be cracked first?

Back
Top Bottom