fertile eggs on plane... 5/26/11 UPDATE... Ca. eggs are here in Ill. !

mmaddie's mom :

No...no... no eggs from Ireland... that didn't work. Just eggs from California to Illinois. I could drive them so why not fly them?

because if youre a terrorist who blows up your own car, then thats not a problem, in fact its probably encouraged. The eggs won't fit inside the appropriate 3oz container for liquids and they are "out of the norm". Anything out of the norm is going to raise concern. Eggs are a liquid/plasma inside a hard shell...rather simmilar to a number of explosive devices that are discouraged on board an airplane. If they make an exception for your eggs, then they are making exceptions for peoples safety and thats not cool. TSA are going to err on the side of safety (i hope)... they don't know about the eggs so they aren't going to let them on the plane...and if they do it will be with so much hassel you will be ready to throw the eggs AT the TSA people. In addition, i would be concerned about the x rays...have no idea if that would get you deformed chicks or not, but an egg shell is a lot thinner than a pregnant woman. Its not a problem of transporting across state lines, its a matter of whats normally allowed on an airplane. Now, this is all my opinion based on my travel experiences.... if you want to try it, go for it, just update us on your progress.​

I would try putting them in individual sandwich bags and pack them among my clothes. I've done it with hard boiled eggs and they did fine. I think it would be a risk of going through the xray but it might work. There is no way they would know they are fertile and it would just be taking home farm fresh eggs for eating.

ok, newest update.

Husband on a business trip. Will ask at each security checkpoint he goes through. So far he just went through the one here at home. They said "yes"! "They are sealed (by the hen) and can't be tampered with." I'm guessing it really is up to the discrestion of the screener. Can't wait to see what the consensus is. Anyone going on a trip? Ask and let's see what the chances will be.

I thought, for sure, that someone would comment on the ludicrous statements made by the tsa phone person... "hard boil them"?!? Really?

Quote:
This is good to know. From what I've learned, it is up to the individual screener (and what kind of mood he/she is in). We are going to Ca. in May and I will try it. I will get 2 dozen and offer for them to break as many of their choice as they'd like to "test". Hopefully I will get to keep a dozen. What is the worst that can happen? They break all 2 dozen. Obviously I won't be able to spend lots of $$$ on them if this is my plan. No harm, no fowl.
idunno.gif

I did call the airlines, and was told that I was unable to bring them, and a security officer at the airport told me the exact same thing. However, they didn't question them either in DC or KC. I haven't ate them yet, but I do wonder if all the air pressure changes and x ray machines changed the quality of them.

I wrote about my entire ordeal on my blog, but the forum won't let me post urls. However, if you want to read it you can google Lucinda Clark contraband eggs, and it should take you to it.

Back
Top Bottom