Fertilized eggs

ClaremontChicks

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I recently found out that I have a cockerel and I am considering breeding my chickens. When the rooster mates with one of the chicken's once, will only one egg be fertilized? Or will there be a string of eggs fertilized? If so, how many? When will I know when the eggs become unfertilized after?

First answer: No.

Second answer: Depending on the rooster he should mate at least once every 3 to 5 days with each hen to ensure a continuing supply of fertile eggs. Turkeys however can mate once and the hen can lay a full clutch of fertile eggs before the hen starts to set.

You'll get a whole range of answers but I think that this one is the most accurate answer.

Last edited:
Thank you!! :) Say that I wanted to have only a certain amount of eggs fertilized. Would I have to wait about 3-5 days then after the last time the hen and rooster have mated to know that they are now unfertilized?

Last edited:
As long as they are put in the fridge after collecting them daily there really is no practical difference. All of my eggs are fertilized all the time. The embryo will not develop unless it is incubated.

One cool thing I found out is that they can be incubated even after spending weeks in the fridge.

I am new to this as well so I may have an odd question just for clarification.

1) if I collect the eggs daily and put them in the fridge, they will not develop into chicks?

I have 9 roosters and 9 hens right now (7 weeks old today). I plan to reduce the males down to 2 once they reach full size.

2) Is that the proper ratio? I want one extra male just in case.

In case I lose one to a predator or something like that. I want to make sure I can build a new flock if I choose to instead of going to a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom