Fickle Turkeys!

RusticDreamer

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Shreveport, LA
I think I posted this in the wrong spot, so I'm reposting here...

I have some turkeys that will only eat feed! I would really like to see them eat some more 'natural' food, like fruits/veggies! Anyone else have this problem or have had this problem and found a way to get their turkeys to forage or eat fruits/veggies?? BTW, mine our 10 mos old Heritage Auburns & Silvers.

if they are old enough let them out in the grass to explore? if they are in a confined space they'll become stupid. if the babies aren't pecking at everything, something is wrong

While mine are penned up for the first 8 weeks I give them dandelion leaves and grass. They loved those treats but wouldn't touch anything else Like treats of any sort. Once they have free ranged for a while they are Like pigs. Worse than my chickens. everything goes in their mouth. Even Styrofoam.

While mine are penned up for the first 8 weeks I give them dandelion leaves and grass. They loved those treats but wouldn't touch anything else Like treats of any sort. Once they have free ranged for a while they are Like pigs. Worse than my chickens. everything goes in their mouth. Even Styrofoam.

Oh gosh!! I keep the pasture picked up pretty well. The worst is when hubby & boys have done a 'project'! I've got to go clean up after them cuz they leave all sorts of things layin' around!! We have alot of dandelion, I'll try out a few things and see what they like!

Thanks!!

I have 17 Bourbon Red Poults that are over 3 weeks old and I will from time to time give them greens from the yard and its like a shark feeding frenzy.

Now this is hand fed have you tried that
idunno.gif

I have 17 Bourbon Red Poults that are over 3 weeks old and I will from time to time give them greens from the yard and its like a shark feeding frenzy.

Now this is hand fed have you tried that
idunno.gif

Yea, they won't take anything from me. I got them when they were already a few months old, I don't think the guy spent any time with them
sad.png
I'm still trying.

How were these Turkeys raised before you got them.
Sounds like they were brought up in a commercial style house no regular human contact or out side exposure.

You might try chopping up some greens of some kind very small and mix it with there feed that might get them a taste for it .
Just a suggestion.

How were these Turkeys raised before you got them.
Sounds like they were brought up in a commercial style house no regular human contact or out side exposure.

You might try chopping up some greens of some kind very small and mix it with there feed that might get them a taste for it .
Just a suggestion.

They were raised outisde in a pen. No free-range, he just fed them feed. I've been trying greens and veggies....so far no luck, but I'll keep trying! They are really docile for not having much contact with ppl, and they are very sweet, but they are still a little skittish, I'm afraid to let them out of their pen we have them in for fear of them....uh...flying the coop...no pun intended! LOL

Fortunately, the poults of theirs we hatched out WILL have LOTS of human contact and LOTS of free-range access!! We've already started taking them outside....supervised, of course! :)

How much time do you spend with them each day ?.
I would spend as much time as you can with them it will help with you being accepted I have read that Turkeys do not like new or different.
Including there surroundings it makes them skittish.

My Poults are going on 5 weeks old and I spend 1 to 2 hours a day with numerous visits about 15 to 20 minutes they seem almost overly friendly wanting to fly up on me and with 4 to 6 at time can be overwhelming its like a contest to them LOL.
I would be patient and continue to try to feed them greens in different ways.

How much time do you spend with them each day ?.
I would spend as much time as you can with them it will help with you being accepted I have read that Turkeys do not like new or different.
Including there surroundings it makes them skittish.

My Poults are going on 5 weeks old and I spend 1 to 2 hours a day with numerous visits about 15 to 20 minutes they seem almost overly friendly wanting to fly up on me and with 4 to 6 at time can be overwhelming its like a contest to them LOL.
I would be patient and continue to try to feed them greens in different ways.
I go out to them at least 4 or 5x a day for about 10-15 mins just trying to gain trust. They were already about 9 mos old when we got them. The poults we hatched from them are much better, obviously, they are inside in the brooder so I have contact with them all day. I hope the big ones get better, they really are sweet, not aggressive at all, so far. I sit with them in their pen and try to feed them stuff, but they won't come to me yet
hit.gif
just keep trying, I guess...

Back
Top Bottom