Finally getting eggs. Feed switch time?

Jul 27, 2022
Ok so my girls started laying last week but question on best feed.

I have 7 hens of a verity of ages 17 - 32 weeks and 1 rooster. What's the best feed? They have oyster shell on the side to eat as they'd like and get black solider larva and mealworms snacks along with their current feed along with other treats regularly. But as far as staple crumble what is best for a flock like this? Stay on pullet feed or switch to layers? Or go with all flock?

I've heard layers feed can be bad for roosters or young pullets. But then I've heard it's to important for laying hens. So I'm a bit conflicted. Also guess I'll say each egg I've gotten so far has been in great shape with nice solid shell.

Photo of this week's eggs so far for attention.

Attachments

• 20221227_163809.jpg
    20221227_163809.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 26
I've heard layers feed can be bad for roosters or young pullets. But then I've heard it's to important for laying hens. So I'm a bit conflicted. Also guess I'll say each egg I've gotten so far has been in great shape with nice solid shell.

The only special thing about layer feed is the amount of calcium, much higher than other chicken feeds.

Layers need to get their calcium from somewhere, but the free choice oyster shell you are already offering should be fine. Good quality eggshells are a sign that your pullets are getting enough calcium with the current system, so there is no real need to change anything.

Thank you!
The only special thing about layer feed is the amount of calcium, much higher than other chicken feeds.

Layers need to get their calcium from somewhere, but the free choice oyster shell you are already offering should be fine. Good quality eggshells are a sign that your pullets are getting enough calcium with the current system, so there is no real need to change anything.

My 5 hens are 21 month and i still have them on Natures Best Organic chick starter but i offer real oyster shells. I offer the 16% layer pellets, but they dont really eat that. Because their eggs are in great shape and I'm refilling the oyster shells often, I'll stick with this set up nutritionally. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom