Financial Compensation for lost chickens

I think I'm going to value them at $40 each. I have a feeling I won't see any money from the dog owners since the dogs also injured a sheep and fatally wounded 3 pigs that needed to be destroyed so they'll have to deal with those costs as well. The dogs were both destroyed. I feel sorry for the dog owners but their lack of responsibility lead to this catastrophe. I also feel sorry for the dogs. However, bottom line is I lost my chickens and not due to negligence on my part.

Actually after looking through the old posts I came up with the figure we worked out back in 2009- $136.

A hen costs maybe $20 plus the 1 bag of feed to keep her up to this point is about $12 plus the year of eggs you will now be missing out on (6 eggs a week, 52 weeks a year @ $4 a carton) equals $136.

You said your feed was more expensive than what was sold in '09 and I guess I only factored in a year of lost eggs. Multiply that figure by 2 and include the bills for damages to the injured hen and property damages if the coop/run had damages.

Quote:
If your dog got hit by a car that would be an act of negligence on the owner's part, not the car driver. This was a situation wherein the owner of the chickens was not at fault so therefore had no option to further protect their birds from a dog on their property. They shouldn't have to build a fort knox to keep someone elses' pets out. Therefore, I do think that the 34$ recommendation per bird plus, say, 20$ for injuries to the 3rd bird, should it survive. If it perishes, the cost for it goes also to 34$. In my opinion.

ok another equation then

say you have a poodle and a pit bull comes on your property and rips thats poodle to shreds and kills it

do you think when you go to court you will be compensated for petting that dog throwing that dog a stick putting food in that dogs mouth till he got killed by that pit bull

First, you don't have to get snippy. It's okay if I have a different OPINION than you. That doesn't automatically make myself or you right.

So far as the dog comparison, last time I checked, my dogs did not lay eggs that could A) be eaten and thereby save the cost of buying eggs B) eggs laid to be used for financial gain, i.e. selling them for profit C) lay eggs that could be incubated and sold as either baby chicks or adult birds if I should choose to raise them.

Dogs and chickens are apples and oranges. Chickens provide, via eggs, a way that they can reimburse owners for their feed and lodgings.

Also, I have seen civil court cases where owners of dogs in similar circumstances as you describe be reimbursed for pain and suffering for the early demise of their pets.

I stand by my original opinion. 34$ per bird sounds good to me.

Just got done with a neighbor who's dogs(2) have killed my flock for the second year in a row. The man has agreed to pay for the chickens, the egg loss(a year of egg production from 10 chickens) and replacement. This was his choice between my claim and the $1,000.00 fines for letting his dogs run unrestrained. The dogs have been destroyed as per my demands. The Dolt who owned the dogs tried to blame it on the kids who were"supposed to put the dogs away each day". My reply was "You are the adult and YOU are responsible." The dirt bag wanted to give me some of his ratty chickens for compensation. I refused!

yes 34 even 40 or 50 a bird sounds good to me also but not in the hundredes or thousands

i have also been to civil court and the judge blatantly said you do not get an emotional compensation for an animal being hurt or killed

not understanding how someone can sue for what a chicken might lay in the future year as though anyone can see into the future and say for sure that bird will absolutely NOT DIE from anything else

BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:
ok another equation then

say you have a poodle and a pit bull comes on your property and rips thats poodle to shreds and kills it

do you think when you go to court you will be compensated for petting that dog throwing that dog a stick putting food in that dogs mouth till he got killed by that pit bull

First, you don't have to get snippy. It's okay if I have a different OPINION than you. That doesn't automatically make myself or you right.

So far as the dog comparison, last time I checked, my dogs did not lay eggs that could A) be eaten and thereby save the cost of buying eggs B) eggs laid to be used for financial gain, i.e. selling them for profit C) lay eggs that could be incubated and sold as either baby chicks or adult birds if I should choose to raise them.

Dogs and chickens are apples and oranges. Chickens provide, via eggs, a way that they can reimburse owners for their feed and lodgings.

Also, I have seen civil court cases where owners of dogs in similar circumstances as you describe be reimbursed for pain and suffering for the early demise of their pets.

I stand by my original opinion. 34$ per bird sounds good to me.​

I do agree that we cannot see into the future to know whether each bird will lay for another full year or even live another full year, but many breeds of chickens live many years and lay for many years, not just one, so to be compensated for only a year after the ill-fated killing by a dog could actually be a loss to the owner as well.

I am glad that we can see eye-to-eye about 34 being a good number, cost-wise.

not understanding how someone can sue for what a chicken might lay in the future year as though anyone can see into the future and say for sure that bird will absolutely NOT DIE from anything else

Well, you can't predict the future based on imagination, but you can look at the lives of all your other chickens, and the chickens of people you know in similar conditions, and calculate how many eggs, on average, a hen would provide in a given year of life with normal conditions.

You can't say that it wouldn't die from something else, but it didn't die from something else. It died from the irresponsibility of this neighbor, and if the police are asking for a number, then the OP should certainly feel free to give them a good one.​

I'll admit I don't understand getting paid for future eggs. If you get paid for replacement cost of the lost birds and you replace them then there won't be any lost future eggs.

For the dead birds, figure out what the replacement cost for an equal age, breed and quality bird is. You really cannot count the feed to get it to that age as you are comparing the cost for a same age bird. Likewise, you are replacing the bird, so you have not lost future eggs, and thus cannot claim them. Check your state laws to see if compensation is equal to the value of your loss or if it is actually higher. (For other reasons recently checked Arizona laws, and noted that compensation for livestock lost to or injured by a dog is three times the value of the animal. For the wounded bird, I would add all vet bills.

Back
Top Bottom