Fire place insert coop

VI KING RANCH

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Campbell River
I was thinking of building a fire place insert coop for one little modern game bantam hen. She is like stuck to me like glue! She is the freinliest bird I have evre raised and I don't want anything happening to her Wher it start dropping below 0. She has lived in my room all of her life and was the only one that hatched that batch. Her house( Which is only for at night) will be about 3 feet by 2 feet anf 2 feet tall. LOts of ventilation. She will be running around with me all day with her diaper on. She Is the sweetest little banty ever.

The only thing I can think of, is the chimney still open? Might it be too cold, draughtwise for her.
But apart from that it sounds as though a space that isnt being used, is okay for a small nighttime coop.

Good luck
smile.png

That sounds like a good idea. It sounds like you're planning on basically building a wee coop that happens to fit inside the fireplace.
As long as the coop can vent up the chimney, but cold air from outside doesn't drop down onto the coop.
Bye the way, hello from down Island, Cobble Hill.

We have two unused fire places in our home...unused because they vent so poorly they aren't worth lighting. I've considered a big built-in fish tank for one of them but never thought of a chicken coop. I've seen some very nice aviary set-ups inside a house. I don't see why a fire place insert wouldn't work. Keep as much of the front open for ventilation since the other sides won't get any...perhaps seeing if venting up the chimney is an option. Be sure it's easy to clean because I'd want anything that was inside my house kept spotless (and stink-less)

Back
Top Bottom