Fire Safety in your Chicken Coop & Barn - IMPORTANT!

It breaks my heart to read this. My animals are like children to me and it pains me to hear about such a tragedy, I cannot even imagine how hard it must be for you. That you are encouraging people towards checking their own coops and barns for fire safety in light of your own loss makes you an angel in my book. I wish you all the best for rebuilding.

It breaks my heart to read this. My animals are like children to me and it pains me to hear about such a tragedy, I cannot even imagine how hard it must be for you. That you are encouraging people towards checking their own coops and barns for fire safety in light of your own loss makes you an angel in my book. I wish you all the best for rebuilding.
Thank you.

They were definitely like my children. I don't have any children, so I can't say how it would feel to lose one, but this is about the worst feeling I've ever had. So empty and sad.

I know with time comes healing. Still working on it.

I am so very sorry for your loss. What a terrible tragedy.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss. This must be devastating. Having grown up with horses, my worst nightmare has always been a barn fire.

Thank you for posting such a clear and responsible message; I'm sure I would not have been able to manage it so soon after such a horrible experience. If I may, I'd like to also recommend that electrical wiring in barns be enclosed in conduit, and all permanent light fixtures be in cages, especially where the larger livestock might potentially break the bulbs by rearing or rough-housing. And if you can, store hay and bedding in a separate building at least 30 feet away from your barns and house.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, and desperately sorry for the loss of your animals.

Thank you so much for being able to post about it, and help the rest of us learn from your experience.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. This must be devastating. Having grown up with horses, my worst nightmare has always been a barn fire.

Thank you for posting such a clear and responsible message; I'm sure I would not have been able to manage it so soon after such a horrible experience. If I may, I'd like to also recommend that electrical wiring in barns be enclosed in conduit, and all permanent light fixtures be in cages, especially where the larger livestock might potentially break the bulbs by rearing or rough-housing. And if you can, store hay and bedding in a separate building at least 30 feet away from your barns and house.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, and desperately sorry for the loss of your animals.

Thank you so much for being able to post about it, and help the rest of us learn from your experience.

X2:highfive:

Thank you. I've added your two tips to the original post.

Building that stores hay should have lots and lots of ventilation.

hugs.gif

I wish I was close to you to help in some way, very sad.

There is always tomorrow.
When one door closes another opens.
Everything happens for a reason.
Everyone has to "go" sometime, somehow.

Thank you for sharing an important message & possibly/probably saving others.

This is morbid, but I was wondering - do you have to clean it up or did the fire department take out the animals or does it all sit there until insurance does something or ?
You mentioned your dogs - dangerous for them to explore it?

hugs.gif

I wish I was close to you to help in some way, very sad.

There is always tomorrow.
When one door closes another opens.
Everything happens for a reason.
Everyone has to "go" sometime, somehow.

Thank you for sharing an important message & possibly/probably saving others.

This is morbid, but I was wondering - do you have to clean it up or did the fire department take out the animals or does it all sit there until insurance does something or ?
You mentioned your dogs - dangerous for them to explore it?
It is morbid, and it's the reason I am not staying at the scene.. because the insurance company removes the bodies, and it takes them a long time to figure it out. So there are a lot of bodies out in the rubble, and the house dogs find them.. and.. bring them to us.

Too much to take. (not the question - the dogs doing that).

It's really aggravating, how long it takes them.. I don't want to have to go and remove the bodies either though.

It's been 8 days since the fire and still haven't even got a quote for clean up, let alone a date they are going to start doing it.
sad.png

I am so glad that we live somewhere that we don't need heat in the buildings for the fowl. I don't have to worry about it. Because I have just this type of luck. I am worried about the brooders. I'm glad the bulbs will be on wire, and in a cinder block building.

Back
Top Bottom