Fireplace....in a mobile home

arabianequine

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
If anyone has a fireplace in their mobile home I wanna see pictures please.

I am trying to get ideas how to put one in safely and cheap as possible. I was thinking have to be a rock base or something similar from floor to ceiling and so wide on each side? I seen one like this in a house but I can't say I have ever seen a fireplace in a mobile home.

Please share your thoughts. I am in Washington so if you know of the rules that would be great too.

Start with the building codes for your area, it's probably discouraged if not outright banned. Check your county/city websites for info.

no pictures sorry because it was a fair few years ago but i've put a couple into housetrucks i've lived in. both were old potbelly stoves. base was tiled, potbelly sat on top loose with the flue going through a hole in the corrugated iron roof that had a lip on the outside that stopped water coming in and a hat over the top for the rain. it could all come apart when driving which was a hassle but i was never very mobile so it didn't matter much to me, could have all been braced in place though. and had the wall behind the stoves protected with some sort of appropriate heat insulating stuff that came out of a demo site. all was done pretty cheap but may not be the sort of thing you're after? depends on the type of mobile home i guess. this was a pretty rough wooden house on an old bedford truck but did me well for years. i wish i had photos to show.

edited to add:

a lot of rock would be quite heavy, i'd be worried about that, i don't know how it works in the US but we have different license requirements that change with vehicle weight and limits depending on the type of vehicles. have always tried to keep everything as light as possible because of this.

the insulation material behind the fireplace was about 1cm thick, if that, made of some sort of asbestos compound i think, very light.

Last edited:
Quote:
Also, if your homeowner's insurance finds out about it, they will probably drop you like a hot potato.

Fireplaces in mobile homes are absolutely notorious for burning them down.

Sorry.
sad.png

my mother in laws moble home came with a fire place in it. we had a chimney built last spring and put a coal wood burner in ours. it cost us over 1700.00 to have it done. but that is also buying the coal and wood burner 700 for the chimney alone. it had to be up to fire marshals codes . so you prob need to check it out

i guess we're lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) in new zealand because i've never heard of any sort of building code or restrictions on fireplaces in mobile homes here. just stuff about the types of glass in windows and the framing etc. i know a few people who build them too so i'm sure i would have.

The newer mobile homes are very well built and many come with fireplaces already in them. Yes, regular wood burning fireplaces. Consider a wood stove, my last mobile and this house (which is a modular) both have wood stoves in them.

Back
Top Bottom