First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Well, my "pair" hatched for the CDM Hatch (BBB) have totally confused me. I figured they were both hens, until they each displayed. Okay, so I changed the names from Edna and Edith to Edgar and Edmond. I was gifted with two midget whites, expected to be a pair, tom and hen, but both turned out to be toms. One - the young Tom was killed quite young by a neighbor dog - so "Madge" was growing up with the two BBB "Tom" turkeys... Then I learned Edgar and Edmond really are Edna and Edith. Nobody gobbles yet. E &E puff up, tail spread and all, but no stamping. They don't do it often. Then Madge quite suddenly turned into a Tom, with all the attributes minus gobbling. His name is not changing - he actually comes to his name!

Linda--funny you mention this. I was just reading that some females will also display, so all the leg banding DH is doing may be for naught. I had only 3 narriganssetts and lost one to a predator, only a pile of feathers left, at midmorning, leaving 2 which DH has banded as boys. I'm so hoping one is a female. I keep looking and hoping for female behaviour.

My females (I've been told they're females from the snood) display when threatened (mostly hawks or when they get into an argument in the run with a chicken) - otherwise they're very smooth and un-poofy.

At 7 months old wouldn't we see a giant snood if they were males?

SCG I would agree with your statement. I wound up with two boys and two girls out of the hatch. When the boys display, their snoods extend down inches from their beaks and their heads turn a blue color. My girls don't display but maybe that is because I have toms that do?

My females (I've been told they're females from the snood) display when threatened (mostly hawks or when they get into an argument in the run with a chicken) - otherwise they're very smooth and un-poofy.

At 7 months old wouldn't we see a giant snood if they were males?
I have a couple younger toms and they are BOYS--they like to be with the big boys and not the young'uns. So like a teenager. Look like mini adult males, with tiny chest hairs.
lau.gif

SCG: The NYH is not the same without you....just sayin.

Thanks, guys. I just couldn't do it this year with all the other stuff going on in my life. I do need to get something in the incubator soon so I can have full sized cockerals to butcher in summer, but nothing's laying here, so I'll probably have to wait until Feb to get eggs. Hopefully my life will have calmed down then, but by then I may have a pregnant goat!

I know Jim has got to be doing a good job. :)

Thanks, guys. I just couldn't do it this year with all the other stuff going on in my life. I do need to get something in the incubator soon so I can have full sized cockerals to butcher in summer, but nothing's laying here, so I'll probably have to wait until Feb to get eggs. Hopefully my life will have calmed down then, but by then I may have a pregnant goat!

Oh I think it's going fine, we just miss you!
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Pregnant Goaties!! Yay!! I'm going to have my Nigerian Dwarf bred this week (if all goes well). For some late May kids. It's our first time ever, I'm super stoked! What kind of goats do you have?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom